• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint question

Bold & Old

Deceased, But not forgotton
Local time
9:41 PM
Reaction score
I am trying to beat the cold weather in Michigan and know that below 65 degrees is the cut off as far as spraying paint.

I want to use spray cans of Rustoleum sandable primer on the underside of the floor pans.

I will be using the urethane base coat paint over that primer on bare metal.

I am also using clear engine enamel over the base coat... because i want to have a thinner look.

The urethane clear has a thicker heavy look when dry. I believe it would be easier to use cans then a spray gun.

I called Rustoleum headquarters for clarification. They told me I could use there sand-able filler primers.

I know that at one time they used fish oil in there products.... they told me that they do not use fish oil since 2005.

I would like some feedback and suggestions about what i am about to do.

Thanks for any and all input....:)

Last edited:
I would definitely do a test panel on what you plan on doing. Rustoleum doesn't always play nice with other brands.

You're going to need one hell of a strong finger if you plan on using spray bombs. Personally I would use a epoxy primer and top coat of the same brand. Shoot your paint with a spray gun, use the fastest drying thinner, air out the shop and turn on the heat. If you don't have a shop, pick a sunny day. You're just doing the underneath right?

I would definitely do a test panel on what you plan on doing. Rustoleum doesn't always play nice with other brands.

You're going to need one hell of a strong finger if you plan on using spray bombs. Personally I would use a epoxy primer and top coat of the same brand. Shoot your paint with a spray gun, use the fastest drying thinner, air out the shop and turn on the heat. If you don't have a shop, pick a sunny day. You're just doing the underneath right?

Yes sir..... I am only doing firewall and underneath for color purposes... where the engine and transmission will sit. I will be able then slide my elephant & 4spd this winter...

Next spring I will get the clear urethane coat for the top side for sure when i paint the car.

I will also do a compatibility test to confirm it will stick.

The clear urethane covers to much detail..... more than i would prefer + the clear is more resistant to heat near the engine.

Who ever painted my car last....... left it I do not like the inside crimped door skin edge filled way to heavy or thick.

Clear urethane has a time element or pot life.... where the base coat does not. I have used urethane before with great success.

Thank you again friend.

171.jpg

FYI

The spray bomb Rustoleum sand-able filler primer works well with urethane base coat.

According to me and myself.... :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back