• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint questions?

astjp2

Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
I am getting the bodywork done on my 68 charger right now. The bodyman wants to use Omni. I have asked around and also found a paint called matrix. What are your opinions? Thanks Tim:headbang:

Just my two cents, if it's a metallic color, I wouldn't do it with Omni. The coverage is shitty, and the metallic is null. If it's a solid color, Omni will work, but it doesn't cover as good as DBU or DBC.
I have never used Matrix, so I can't help you out with that, sorry.

Never heard of Matrix either, but i've had good luck with Omni Single stage with a 1.8 tip. No orange peel issues when dialed in right and layed correctly. Bigger fan of the Dupont's though.

I've shot Chroma One (dupont single-stage) with really nice results... on BC/CC PPG is what I'd recommend.

I would never use Omni or Matrix or any low cost materials on a project like that.These brands do not have the U V protection that the major brands have and that can be huge in the longevity of your paint job.Also these brands are inconsistant with there toners and can possibly be impossible to match if ever you need to.Matrix is a company that claims they have made their own products using major brand formulas and selling it cheaper.Do yourself a big favor and ask your your body shop to use only PPG {parent company of Omni} on your car.I hope they didn't use Omni primer on your car,it is way too soft and things tend to surface after a short time.Omni is mainly used on used or economy type vehicles

I painted my car with Omni (solid color). It turned out well...but I will never use it again, it is very thin, luckily I had enough on hand to get the coverage I wanted.

If you are dead set on using a lower line, I have had better luck with Nason (Dupont's cheaper brand), I have used there base coat and it covered better than Omni, but color match isn't perfect (which really isn't a problem if you are doing a complete paint job).

Haven't ever used Matrix, but I heard the company is run by a chemist who use to work for PPG.... don't know if that is the truth or not???

Jason

Auto Transport Service
Back