• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Safety EN143 EN136 EN140 NIOSH EN202089

The isocyanate is actually in the hardner not the base/ primer / epoxy ect.

Edited-
Are you sure about the 6000 number? I believe it to be the 3M series of face masks and not filtration type. This is from a description from a 3M filter.
  • Fits 3M 6000 Series and 3M 7500 Series half face piece respirators

Do you know if Isocyanate can be filterd or partially by organic filtration?

Last edited:
Edited-
Are you sure about the 6000 number? I believe it to be the 3M series of face masks and not filtration type. This is from a description from a 3M filter.
  • Fits 3M 6000 Series and 3M 7500 Series half face piece respirators

Do you know if Isocyanate can be filterd or partially by organic filtration?

The only difference between 6000 and 7500 is the material they are made from . One is made from silicone and the other rubber. The filters are interchangeable. Change is for comfort and some allergic reactions people may have to contact . Don't get confused between them.

Yes I am 100% sure 6001 is the correct filter for isocyanate protection. There is also a set of pre-filters that are highly recommend ( its basically a p95 pre filter ) which help filter PARTICULATE only. Its has 0 protection from VOC or other vapour but is used to help extend the life of the 6001 cartridge filter. As a lot of people will use these filters for sanding as well, which IS NOT necessary. After the product is cured the isocyanate vapour risk is gone. But by having a pre-filter it covers everything in one shot.

Now if you want to get into the nit-gritty there is no printed time frame from filter replacement ( unless they have updated their info but not since the last time read it ) . There is a very clouded recommendation of 40 hours of EXPOSURE time. That means , when the mask is not in use you should have the filters seperated from the mask and kept in an air tight container. Honestly this is basically useless as its next to impossible to control this exposure time. Its just another stupid fine print BS that health / labour board officals can throw drown your throat if they want to be dick heads when doing an inspection. There are 100's of these examples . I personally change my filters once a month . If you fully read all health and safety for a lot of products in the body shop or other work places for that matter, then you might as well put on a bomb suit . You have to remember that the manufacture of the products want 0 responsibility of ANYTHING that could happen to you while using their product its just as much a legal thing for them as a safety. I am not down playing safety at all but honestly some of the stuff is just over the top.

I've been in the industry for over 15 years now, I have been the health and safety representative at a few shops, I have all my Akzo Nobel product training. My current shop is located across the street from one of the largest 3M plants in southern Ontario. We have 3M reps and lab workers come in constantly for product testing and review. We also just had the ministry of labour do a random walk threw of our shop 1 month ago. I don't claim to know everything about the health and safety but i have a pretty good handle on it.

Thanks my msds (Summit Epoxy Primer) indicates for PPE respirator a 29 cfr 1910.134 not sure what that is but add it to all the above ratings and to my point. I understand that I need it for organic vapor but the markings on the filters from different sources and mfg have a mix of ratings as what I listed above. Some say organic vapors some do not even though they have activated charcoal elements.

View attachment 1260111 View attachment 1260116

ok so after re-reading this a few times mfg is calling out a fresh air respirator. Um don’t have that…. The numbers ate referring to use of that system as detailed by OSHA. My point keeps being made. I realize that not a lot of lay people are spraying cars in a non professional shop but in my opinion the mask markings identification and specifications are not very simple as they should be. If I am confused about the filters I have then my guess is many folks are as well…..
Yep, it's confusing. The safety data sheet you showed is for an epoxy (no isocyanate in an epoxy). That is 1-component of a 2-component paint. Your hazards will be 1. very flammable 2. dizzy headache (solvent vapors) If you have to use cartridges, pick ANY one of them that says "organic vapor". If you have an option, your pick one that says "organic vapor & ammonia" (because ammonia is an amine & the other component of the epoxy paint is an amine, or a closely related chemical, an amide). 3. skin irritation for the amine/amide 2nd component of that epoxy (keep it off your skin).

I would recommend you step out of the booth for some fresh air every 15 minutes so you don't pass out from the vapors

Yep, it's confusing. The safety data sheet you showed is for an epoxy (no isocyanate in an epoxy). That is 1-component of a 2-component paint. Your hazards will be 1. very flammable 2. dizzy headache (solvent vapors) If you have to use cartridges, pick ANY one of them that says "organic vapor". If you have an option, your pick one that says "organic vapor & ammonia" (because ammonia is an amine & the other component of the epoxy paint is an amine, or a closely related chemical, an amide). 3. skin irritation for the amine/amide 2nd component of that epoxy (keep it off your skin).

I would recommend you step out of the booth for some fresh air every 15 minutes so you don't pass out from the vapors
I rolled out some epoxy on my car, even with mask, I felt dizzy after awhile. I'm definitely upgrading next time..

I rolled out some epoxy on my car, even with mask, I felt dizzy after awhile. I'm definitely upgrading next time..
In that case, buy extra filters and change them out. Also, take breaks to get some fresh air. The solvents in the paint are what's doing that. It's basically like sniffing glue. The organic filters can get "full" (basically) and need to be changed out.

This is all great info on protective gear.
I use 3M masks myself.
I did want to add to the discussion to make sure you mask fits and is adjusted to you face.
Very easy to overlook the simple stuff. To know if you have a good seal cover both cartridges with your hands and inhale.
If you can draw in a breath you need to re adjust or replace.

I'm a little late but 36 years in the industry and still love it.
6001 cartridges with prefilters for paint and 2091 for dry sanding.
An overwhelming majority of my time is in a booth and the cartridge's will last longer as they are subjected to less than in closed conditions, aka makeshift booth with little air turnover.

Actually, for an OSHA fit test, you place your hand on the exhaust/outlet and blow into the mask........nothing should come out the filter inlet or the perimeter of the mask if the mask is working properly and fits your face. Then typically a hood is placed over your head and a sweetner is misted in the hood...you smell it...it failed. FYI, facial hair is a no no with respirators.
For the nasties, like Imron on large jobs....my full face comes out with fresh air. The air hose is a bit of a nuisance.
I always wear sleeves and disposable gloves with half suits (upper) as it's more comfortable.

Auto Transport Service
Back