• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting a new gas tank

Mikey59

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1971 charger super bee iam installing a new gas tank and was wanting to undercoat it to protect it from rusting. is that a good idea . And does any one know where I can get a book on parts assembly on my charger . My brothers car is in pieces and a lot of them I dont have a clue where they go.

I used rustoleum rubberized undercoating on mine when i replaced the tank 4 months ago. Seems fine. Make sure you get enough, it goes quickly.

hear do this

1969-plymouth-road-runner gas tank.jpg

Clear coated mine...
Did you have issues with any of the internal vent lines in the tank? I had my new Spectra tank powdercoated and the soldered-on vent line connections inside the tank melted. Solder melts at less temperature than the powdercoat baking temp.

Did you have issues with any of the internal vent lines in the tank? I had my new Spectra tank powdercoated and the soldered-on vent line connections inside the tank melted. Solder melts at less temperature than the powdercoat baking temp.
No issues wiping all the mfg oils off with reducer and clearing it. Sounds like your powerercoater just wanted your money, as they certainly should know their temps. And as an airplane builder I always pressure test tanks so there are no surprises...
beerestoration2018 185.JPG
beerestoration2018 186.JPG
beerestoration2018 188.JPG
beerestoration2018 190.JPG

HeinzSchweigerwingrepairs 501.jpg

Last edited:
My research shows solder curing temp at 200 degrees C, solder melts at 180-190 degree.

Interesting, considering the lowest melting point solder melts around 289F and 50/50 melts at over 360F and lead free is even higher. How hot were they running the powder coat oven?

My gas tank was custom built out of stainless steel on my coronet, but , in the past I painted them with Por-15. I really like the clear coat on dadsbee's, well done. On several of my other builds I bought Currie rear ends and painted them with paint that was called bare metal and then clear coated. I did it to get away with the standard black that is usually used. Just looked clean to me.

Interesting, considering the lowest melting point solder melts around 289F and 50/50 melts at over 360F and lead free is even higher. How hot were they running the powder coat oven?
Powder coating generally cures at 350°F to 450°F (184°F to 240°C). Higher temperatures reduce the time required in the oven, so both time and temperature have to be considered.
Not sure of what they have their ovens set at but they are a big outfit that has the largest ovens here in Hamilton. They can easily fit a car in it and have done so. But given @khryslerkid post the solder would easily melt when curing. I'm sure they'd use the upper limits on the curing temp cause they are busy and I've seem the line-up of lacks waiting to go in.
Anyway, you didn't have an issue which is good.

I found some green paint laying around the garage and used it up on my new tank replacement and after ten years it still looks OK (it took some doing cleaning the oily film the repro gas tank was covered with when I opened the box). Not factory appearing at all, but unique (kinda nerdy like me).

green gas tank Barracuda.jpg

I used a galvanized tank coating. Tank still looks new after 3 years on the road and yes I drive it a fair amount.

Auto Transport Service
Back