• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting Car

ronw

Local time
2:31 AM
Reaction score
I need to know the best or easiest way to paint my dart. With the doors ,fenders, hood and trunk off or on the car. If on the car, how do you keep them from touching the body. The color I'm thinking of is a new silver for either a new Challenger or charger. Please relay the process or steps. Thanks Ron

If this is your first ever paint job and you want silver catch MACO when they are running a paint special and have them paint it. Silver is not a friendly color to apply.

Paint it assembled or you'll end up with a 2 tone paint job like many others do.I can spot a car a mile away when the doors are painted separate from the car.

When you are doing a colour change you're best to remove all trim, seals and door locks/handles. Do all of your body work and prep. Prime what's necessary and then spray the jambs. Wait 3 to 4 days, scuff the exterior and shoot at least two coats of sealer then your colour.

In a nutshell.

As mentioned. Silver isn't a user friendly color. It likes to black line. I will never paint a silver car in pieces. To many variables with that color.

This works for me..

Painting them apart and oriented (vertical or horizontal) as it will be on the car, you should not have a color problem. First do a spray out card to count how many coats are needed to get full hiding and the true color. Then, be sure that all pieces get the same number of coats. If it takes 5 coats to get coverage on the card, put at least 5 coats of color on everything. More coats is okay, less will bite you.

Attachments

• z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCN3724.jpg
    DSCN3724.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 195
If this is your first ever paint job and you want silver catch MACO when they are running a paint special and have them paint it. Silver is not a friendly color to apply.
I've only heard bad things about maco!

Auto Transport Service
Back