• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting steelies

HDard

Local time
1:50 PM
Reaction score
I am painting a set of steelies for my 69 GTX (R6) and wondered if both sides would have been painted from the factory or would have it just been the outside? Thanks for any responses.

Might as well paint, or powdercoat the whole wheel. Won't have to worry about the inner wheel getting rusty.

Most, if not all factory wheels are painted on all surfaces, from what I have dealt with. Just prepped a dozen for my painter to have at...
1012221611.jpg

I am not expert, but I believe it depends on the age of the car, and the wheels. If full wheel covers were used, semi gloss black, inside and out.
Earlier cars that used body color on the outside, with hubcaps, had black on the inside. Your GTX would be in this group.
At some point, (mid seventies i think) even with hubcaps, they quit painting body color, semi gloss black, both sides. I think the rallyes got black inside too.
If I'm wrong, please correct me but I think that's how they were done.

My 64 and 65 Plymouths were painted body color both sides.
Like 33 IMP stated later years black on the back.

I have some 14" x 5-1/2" wheels that were painted black on the outside and a gray color on the inside. They looked to be original and un-repainted. They had been in the trunk of my 64 Fury and 67 Coronet for about 30 years as spares. They both have old bias ply whitewall tires on them. These are 68-later wheels that take the smaller dia. dog dish caps.

Many thanks for the responses. Helps a lot. I am trying to get the GTX ready to sell and keep it as OEM as possible.

Completely painted, the only correct way to do it.
Respectfully disagree. Steel wheels delivered to Chrysler by the various vendors (motor works & kelsey hayes) were painted black. if the car was coded to get full wheel covers then the wheels remained black. If the car was coded to get bottle cap hubcaps, then the outer (visible) portion of the wheel was fogged in body color paint. There would be a small amount of overspray that got through the openings, but the backside of the wheels would remain primarily black. the factory would not "waste" paint to paint the rear of the wheel since it was not visible. and if the car was coded for some type of upgraded rally wheel, the spare would be mounted to a plain black steel rim.

I have some 14" x 5-1/2" wheels that were painted black on the outside and a gray color on the inside. They looked to be original and un-repainted. They had been in the trunk of my 64 Fury and 67 Coronet for about 30 years as spares. They both have old bias ply whitewall tires on them. These are 68-later wheels that take the smaller dia. dog dish caps.
CORRECTION! Sorry, guys, had a brain fart when posting this. The wheels are actually the older style that take the larger poverty caps. After examining them, I am pretty sure they are the OEM wheels that came on my all original 64 Fury before I swapped it to the Magnum 500s. Just want to clear up the wrong info in case anyone is interested....

Auto Transport Service
Back