• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Panel paching, splicing and welding questions

Ok guys, I tried the cut off wheel trick and I have to say it’s not for me. I started practicing by patching the antenna hole. Not bad, went slow and found the compressed air nozzle worked the best for keeping heat out. Another thing I learned is to clip the wire before each pull of the trigger no matter how much of a pain it was. That gave me clean, consistent welds each time. Here’s the antenna hole after I shot it with self etch from a rattle can.
View attachment 693533
I went on to do the lower fender patch. That went ok. I knocked it all down with 36grit on a 3” roloc and then 80 in the DA. The area above the seam is going to need a skimcoat of filler, but I knew that going in. These fenders probably weren’t worth salvaging.
View attachment 693534
I don’t hate it and I know the next one will probably look better. Now, for the next question... how do I fix these thin areas where it blew holes when blasted?
View attachment 693535
View attachment 693536
You can see this thin area ‘blistered’ from the abrasive it was so thin. Should I cut out and weld in a patch?
That depends on the backside, I've looked inside only to find a small rust pit on an otherwise clean panel, If that's the case I just weld it shut. If it's rursted thin in areas to large to weld shut I start patching in new metal.

Think you screwed up and took a picture of the wrong area.. I couldn't see an antenna hole anywhere haha:thumbsup: nice job!

Just so I can get brain around this, Superbird clone from what base car?
The gurus on here can correct me but wouldn't a fender from a 70 Roadrunner work?
I haven't searched them.

That depends on the backside, I've looked inside only to find a small rust pit on an otherwise clean panel, If that's the case I just weld it shut. If it's rursted thin in areas to large to weld shut I start patching in new metal.

Think you screwed up and took a picture of the wrong area.. I couldn't see an antenna hole anywhere haha:thumbsup: nice job!
Thanks! That patch when in nice but it’s so thick right there with the bracing it was hard to screw up!

Just so I can get brain around this, Superbird clone from what base car?
The gurus on here can correct me but wouldn't a fender from a 70 Roadrunner work?
I haven't searched them.
The Superbird was a Plymouth Road Runner with modified Dodge Coronet/Super Bee fenders. They’re needed to mate with this...
230A763B-EF95-4D72-B858-0A9718591CE0.jpeg

No, I understand that but the Superbird was basically a modified 70 Roadrunner. The Dodge Daytona was a bit different beast.
The gods on here can correct me but I would doubt that that the Daytona nose cone would mate properly with the Superbird fenders.
Daytona is essentially a Charger. Superbird is a Roadrunner.
Dodge vs Plymouth.

Last edited:
He already did correct you. The front fenders on a Superbird are from a '70 Dodge Coronet to mate the nose cone.

beeandbirdtoshopfall2018 085.JPG

Last edited:
OK, I think I get it.
If you essentially need a 70 Coronet Fender to work on this thing then why not just get a 70 Coronet fender?
https://www.ebay.com/i/112571521088?chn=ps
That’s a poor quality fiberglass unit from Showcars that makes my steel junker look like the jewel of the nile. I had some nice Glasstek fiberglass fenders but some of the classes don’t allow fiberglass fenders.

I just did some quick searching online and holy ****, a 70 Coronet fender isn't as common as I thought it would be.
Start welding. :(

Forgive me guys, I have never been the sharpest tool in the shed.
Just so I understand correctly, Ma Mopar used the Dodge Coronet fender on the Plymouth Superbird to get the nose cone to fit? Or is it an anomaly from the clone you're working on?
Not trying to be a dick here I just need to know as it's an interesting bit of history.

Yes MA Mopar let them run across town to the Dodge factory and stole some fenders for the Plymouths to turn a Roadrunner into a Superbird. Mine is real...

beeandbirdtoshopfall2018 067.JPG

I don’t hate it and I know the next one will probably look better. Now, for the next question... how do I fix these thin areas where it blew holes when blasted?
You can see this thin area ‘blistered’ from the abrasive it was so thin. Should I cut out and weld in a patch?

You can try to give it the old copper spoon.

Drill out each blow out with next size drill bit larger than the hole. Then fill it. You can pick up a copper back up plate from harbor freight very reasonable. Then grind flat with 36 grit roloc.

Auto Transport Service
Back