• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Park cable removal tool?

MWFan

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Trying to remove the park cable from my 64 Polara parts car. Is there a tool to release where the pushbutton end is "crimped" to the assembly? I don't mind mangling the donor but if I decide to put it in my good car I'll need a better solution.
Thx. Bernie

Last edited:
I use a piece of pipe that will slide over it and release it.

Is there a tool to release where the pushbutton end is "crimped" to the assembly?
I have no idea what that is or what you're talking about? I just use one of these if that's your question? Good Luck
F9%2F16-in-to-1-1%2F16-in-standard-worm-gear-clamp.jpg

Are you talking parking brake cable? A 1/2" 12 point box end wrench slid over the prongs. A little wiggle and it will colapse the prongs enpugh to allow the cable to slide out. Or are you talking push button trans park cable? Remove the allen screw in the park cable housing. Use a pic to unlatch the spring clip. A concentrated LED flash light really helps. You can actually see the clip once the fluid stops dripping.
Doug

Talking about the shifter end behind the dashboard (not transmission end) of the "Park" cable on a push button transmission shifter, not a parking brake cable.
The cable sheath is attached to the push button shifter assembly by "crimping" the metal of the shifter housing around a groove in the cable housing.

Talking about the shifter end behind the dashboard (not transmission end) of the "Park" cable on a push button transmission shifter, not a parking brake cable.
The cable sheath is attached to the push button shifter assembly by "crimping" the metal of the shifter housing around a groove in the cable housing.
Can you post a picture of it?

Is this the crimp you are looking at? If so, you need to spread the tabs with a snap ring type tool to get the cable out.
park-cable-lock-dash-buttons.jpg

Or a couple sets of pliers to pull it apart. If the tabs bend much you can straighten them in a vise.

Kinda hard getting 2 pliers and 2 hands behind the dash behind the shifter though. If there was a "snap ring plier" type tool that could expand it it would be easy.
Or a couple sets of pliers to pull it apart. If the tabs bend much you can straighten them in a vise.

Kinda hard getting 2 pliers and 2 hands behind the dash behind the shifter though. If there was a "snap ring plier" type tool that could expand it it would be easy.
Unbolt the shifter from the dash first.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back