• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking Brake Strut Bar Spring source

Islandkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Good morning all
I just spent many hours tearing apart the shop looking for mine. For the love of me I put them some where and I can't find them. Just lately. I bead blasted them, black oxidized them and put them????????
Great to be getting old. NOT!
Any good source to pick up the springs for a 8.75 10x2.5 ? Just the springs not the bars and springs. Any solutions? I looked around the web and by the "looks" of it many other vehicles should do the trick?? Any one confirm this??
The strut bar is that long "C" shaped flat bar that goes between the brake shoes on the top half of the brakes. The little sort of flat oval spring that keeps it from rattling.
You can just see the bar, with out the spring behind the axel. The spring is on the left side on the drivers side. Any direction would help. They don't come in the brake spring kit. I have two new kits here.

missing spring.jpg

Rockauto?

They have lots of small drum brake parts.

When I rebuilt my rear brakes last winter the spring on the left side broke and I didn't have a replacement. I thought I would just leave it out and see what happens. It seems fine to me. I have not noticed any noise or any rattles from the spring being missing. Maybe next time I have it apart I'll try to replace it. Just FYI.

Thanks Wayne. I have the part number for the spring. They were both the same for the 10 inch and the 11inch brakes. The part # is 2533 822. Can you still get them at the dealer? The box you have is it for the springs only? Or for the strut and spring? Locally??

Edit... Calling local dealership in Ch'town now

Edit edit... Not serviceable since 2015. At least the fella knew what a 8.75 was. And he also knew what I was talking about. Better than lots. lol

Last edited:
JonR, did you put the strut bar back in also or did you leave it out? I can't imagine the bar not moving. I know mine rattles just sitting there. :lol: When you do check it out again I wonder how much hammering/scuffing the bar did. Just curious also.

YY1, I checked out the rock. Yes lots of small parts there for sure. None for the 8.75 in the kits or sold separately. I checked out for the Dakota and Ram "looks" like they might work. But would like to be sure. Not the money just hassle. The ford ranger one looks very similar.
Thanks just the same. Looking for all options. I'm sure the others ones are the same from other models / brands. Like I said just a hassle. Order, ship receive, wrong one repeat. Know what I'm saying

Did yours have the little side curl or just straight oval spring? Straight oval jobber pt# is H1342 and the side curl I don't know #. I have both if you get stuck!
20231004_104435.jpg
20231004_104505.jpg

H1342 is showing on amazon.ca and rockauto.. Like I said if you can't get them easy I can bail you out.

Sweet Wayne Thank you very much!! I thought my Google Foo was pretty good. But I learn from the master! Well I get help any way. lol How were you able to find them?? I seen lots but no real info on applications. Mine where the straight ones no curls. But original. I'm not sure whether the little side curl was there for more than just easier to install with needle nose pliers or not?? I seen guys on the the Tube install them with the curl in to avoid interference.
Just enter that number on Amazon withy the parts name Wayne? I seen a set on there for 16 bucks I was going to order them but also seen a set at NAPA so ordered them yesterday. Be next week ffs Canada Our vast empire lol
Thanks again Wayne! Said it before... you are the MAN!

Edit... That is the one I seen yesterday. Says right at the top on my "Garage Cars" will not fit. lol What the hell do they know!
So Wayne that is a go then? Will work??

Edit edit... On the way! Be here in three days.

Thanks again my man! And thank you very much for your offer! Appreciate it.

Last edited:
JonR, did you put the strut bar back in also or did you leave it out? I can't imagine the bar not moving. I know mine rattles just sitting there. :lol: When you do check it out again I wonder how much hammering/scuffing the bar did. Just curious also.
I left the bar in without the spring. Honestly, how much can it do anyway? It just sits there on the end of bar with no compression on it. It seems to me there is as much chance to rattle with the spring as without. I know it's heresy but just asking questions.

I believe it keeps the bar from dropping down, off the front shoe, which can cause the shoe to rub the drum and basically "half stick" the brakes on that wheel.

I also believe the E brake arm keeps the bar from dropping off the rear shoe.

Good morning all
I just spent many hours tearing apart the shop looking for mine. For the love of me I put them some where and I can't find them. Just lately. I bead blasted them, black oxidized them and put them????????
Great to be getting old. NOT!
Any good source to pick up the springs for a 8.75 10x2.5 ? Just the springs not the bars and springs. Any solutions? I looked around the web and by the "looks" of it many other vehicles should do the trick?? Any one confirm this??
The strut bar is that long "C" shaped flat bar that goes between the brake shoes on the top half of the brakes. The little sort of flat oval spring that keeps it from rattling.
You can just see the bar, with out the spring behind the axel. The spring is on the left side on the drivers side. Any direction would help. They don't come in the brake spring kit. I have two new kits here.

View attachment 1534546
A parts wanted thread is the place to start.

Yes, I seen that you can buy the bars and springs from several vendors. Dr Diff, Mega Parts, Jims Auto, Dantes Mopar Parts and a few more. Even Nigel carries them at National Moparts. Then there's e-bay. My bars are mint as you can tell by my picture. Just needed the springs. The Mopar vendors all want to sell you the bars and the springs 10-4? Like I was saying lots of springs out there, just no description of what they will fit. If I hadn't of found a few sets of springs I would have tried the ones for the newer Durango. They look like they would have done the job also. And if I was out of luck with those I would have bought one of those bar kits. What's another 50 bucks??
Going good Stan. Finally making a little headway on her. Dam life interferes in more ways than I could have imagined. Anyway Stan thanks for the offer. Springs will be here Saturday by 8pm lol

Life interferes ... tell me about it ... I just had a quadruple bypass !!!

As for those springs, I don't think they do a whole lot other than stop things from rattling. Probably anything that fits would do! Are those 10" or 11" brakes?

Wow. I hope your doing ok Stan. Up and at it yet?
Yep, life can always through you for a loop.
Working on the car this spring. Phone rings. Hospital. Dear friend took a stroke. Hospital for a few weeks, one funeral, two nursing homes so far, dealing with the feds, and looking after her husband. (My dear friend known him since I was 6, He's 93) now trying to get back to working on the car until the next time!
Yes That's the purpose of the springs. Just to keep the rattles down. The same spring works for both the 10 and 11 inch brakes.
Same part number 2533 822

I'm going to have to buy the strut bars and levers which will come with springs so if you want my springs you're welcome to them.

Bought what was supposed to be a "complete" set of loaded backing plates at Carlisle only to discover they're missing the parking brake hardware when I got home.

I've been ripped off more times than not by sellers at Carlisle !!

Auto Transport Service
Back