• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passed Down 72 Charger Need Some Help Diagnosing

Mike Dorn

Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, need some help diagnosing what’s going on here, essentially it sounds like a backfire but happens every motor rotation, not sure what’s really going on my first thought was timing but any help would really be appreciated. My background is electrical stuff but this has me stumped. I have linked a video below of what it’s doing

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Your video hasn't downloaded yet. So, guessing here but 2 possibilities. Distributor 180 out. Easy check, pull it and install 180° and try it. Other is firing order. Small block rotates clockwise. Check that wires are in correct order and clockwise.

I am in full agreement with diesel_lv… have you changed spark plugs or spark plug wires? Had you pulled the distributor for any reason? A possible 3rd reason could be that the timing chain is stretched and has jumped. The firing order is cast into the intake manifold and general info is available on the internet.

Your video hasn't downloaded yet. So, guessing here but 2 possibilities. Distributor 180 out. Easy check, pull it and install 180° and try it. Other is firing order. Small block rotates clockwise. Check that wires are in correct order and clockwise.
Thank for very much for the info, something weird happened with iCloud I changed the link to one that works, it’s is a 440 and what’s really stumping me is that it used to run fine then started having this issue, put a few thousand miles on it and ran smooth prior to this. Video should be good now if that’ll help.

I am in full agreement with diesel_lv… have you changed spark plugs or spark plug wires? Had you pulled the distributor for any reason? A possible 3rd reason could be that the timing chain is stretched and has jumped. The firing order is cast into the intake manifold and general info is available on the internet.
Ignition components were my first thought as well, plugs are newer but I cleaned them just in case, would be be worth it to grab a new set of wires to remove that as a potential issue?

Did you do each plug one at a time or one side at a time. It sounds like the wires are crossed, you may want to check them just to make sure.

Did you do each plug one at a time or one side at a time. It sounds like the wires are crossed, you may want to check them just to make sure.
I did one at a time, pulling one wire and one plug each go, I was hoping there was an obvious plug/wire issue but no luck, the issue started prior to any plug/wire removal

I meant did you check the firing order on the wires/cap? Do you know if the car ran before you got it?

for some reason I cant get the video to play.

I meant did you check the firing order on the wires/cap? Do you know if the car ran before you got it?
Yep ran fine about 4 months ago, no changes or new components just started doing the misfires in the video, to me sounds like a misfire on 1 cylinder every rotation but not sure as to what could cause it. I saw it running perfectly prior to the issue.

Do you know which cylinder? Maybe pull the valve cover and check things once you know what cylinder. Check your wires and firing order, it’s spitting through the carb on the video.

Do you know which cylinder? Maybe pull the valve cover and check things once you know what cylinder. Check your wires and firing order, it’s spitting through the carb on the video.
Not sure which cylinder, could be a dumb question but is there a common way to determine which cylinder? Definitely looks like it’s spitting on only 1 cylinder every rotation

What carburetor is on that car?

Valves binding after sitting for a while—now has bent pushrod?
If you are confident the firing order is correct—pull the valve covers.

The spitting is being caused by the engine firing on the intake stroke and it blowing through the carb. It’s being caused by the timing either through a crossed wire or in the distributor, pull the valve covers like I said earlier and check for possible bent pushrods.

Auto Transport Service
Back