• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passon Performance

Has anyone received a Passon a855 in the last year?

I got mine about a year ago, if I remember correctly. My A-855 is like an 18 spline Hemi transmission; the gear ratios 1-4 are essentially identical. Fifth gear (overdrive) is .7:1. Installation is a breeze. It EXACTLY fits as an A-833 does. Zero modifications required for installation.

I have now added a 500 cubic inch "torque monster" engine to my car. I just finished driving my car 2,200 miles for the Hot Rod Power Tour. Transmission works great - it's smooth and the .7 to one gear ratio on the highway is awesome.

Bottom line is I love my A-855. I waited close to 5 years for it (drove a A-833 converted overdrive before that), but I'm glad I waited. Plus, as a benefit, it is 100% USA made. Parts and assembly are all USA.

20200116_123737.jpg

20200116_125430.jpg

And at $6k, he won’t be selling as many. You can get a TKX 5 speed for $3k and usually don’t need to do any floor work.

Wonder how many people drop out? Or do they put another trans in until their number comes up? Then do they maybe sell the 855 to someone who will pay a premium to get one? Any answers. One other do you pay in advance or a deposit?

Wonder how many people drop out? Or do they put another trans in until their number comes up? Then do they maybe sell the 855 to someone who will pay a premium to get one? Any answers. One other do you pay in advance or a deposit?
I paid zero in a deposit beforehand.

Yes, as a small business, Passon has been overwhelmed with interest in the transmission. Interest has way outstripped the ability to supply them. But, he is a good guy trying to make a fully American product for our classic American cars. Tremec transmissions are built in Mexico. I'm sure they are good transmissions, but I wanted to support an American business if I could.

Ram trucks are built in Mexico, that statement thought holds no water. It’s been how many years since this trans came to fruition?

Ram trucks are built in Mexico, that statement thought holds no water. It’s been how many years since this trans came to fruition?
I'm not sure what you are saying. Lots of stuff is built in different countries. I simply stated:
"...I wanted to support an American business if I could."
In this case, I could support an American business (and a small one too, which I like even better), I liked the design and premise of the transmission, so I waited and got one.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Lots of stuff is built in different countries. I simply stated:
"...I wanted to support an American business if I could."
In this case, I could support an American business (and a small one too, which I like even better), I liked the design and premise of the transmission, so I waited and got one.
I have brake drums made in Argentina on my A100.....they work fine.

No transmission in sight, no progress on one. On another note, the nuclear submarine I ordered the same week shipped yesterday.

He must not have the funds, to do the needed cases or special parts
multiples/in bulk to fill his backorders...
Cases castings/machining supply problems ?

you'd think at well over $5k each,
he'd be pumping them out as fast as he got orders

it seems like everyone has a, I've waited forever story

keeping people waiting for years, some claim 5 year in some cases
isn't a good business strategy, no matter how nice of a guy you are

I have nothing against Jamie Passon or his business
but;
it's been going on for like 7-8 or more years now,
almost 10 since their magazine write-ups, teases
since he brought them out to the public
& it's still no better today

sorry
They need to get their **** together...

*shifter or the location may be an issue, call them
Richmond Gear/or Doug Nash 5 speed is made in America too
***shifter off to the side of the tailhousing like normal
*some are top-loaders style too, but not a fat body as some out there
(sometimes easier to find, sold out a lot too, but still making them. last I saw)
cheaper like $2900-ish+ internal rail/top loaders
to ***$3600-ish+ for a 'super street' version last I saw
a bunch of different gear ratios too, final or 1st
or close vs wide ratios too
some aren't going to be a "direct "bolt in"
& a fabbed-up trans mount or even cross-member,
places sell universal stuff you can modify (or modify the org. one)
most have a similar/or same bolt patern for the trans to the bell-housing
*maybe a spacer or get a 'quick-time' aftermarket bell housing
or a Lakewood etc.
Some others too
*you may have to use a different splined clutch friction plate,
(or pilot bearing inside outside diameter)
*to fit the specific trans-input shaft
other than 18 spline MoPar, that no big deal, GM or Ford or MoPar spline
the engine won't know the difference
'is not like rocket science either'

Summit Racing had them in stock at one time,
they still have the GM versions in stock right now
they have other versions of the Richmond Gear 5 speeds too
26 spline in stock right now, just get a 10" 10-1/2" or 11" 26 spline clutch plate
whatever yours may be

think outside the proverbial box

where there's a will there's a way
people are afraid to have to do some "even minor mods"
they just want to, just bolt it in
you don't have to cut or hammer on the car either, on some
like some OD trans installs have too

Last edited:
The a855 I have has been flawless in operation, street and strip, around town light cruising to "no lift shift" power shifts at the 1320, and on the Interstate (I-10 and a few others).
Speaking of shifting, the shift mechanism including shift rods, hardware, etc are heavy duty and I couldn't think of anything I'd add or change to the design and finished shifter.
Absolutely NO problem with it fitting, I can't imagine ANY other choice for someone who has a car they don't want to cut or beat on (for whatever reason) to "make" their 5 or 6 speed manual transmission fit.
There may be aftermarket 5 or 6 speed units now that don't require any mods, I honestly don't know.
There's SO MUCH MORE to the Passon 5 speed that I believe makes it the best choice, but then again "New Challenger Redeye on Sale at Dodge-50% Off Sticker" is an amazing deal, but if there aren't any available to sell....well...

Passon did not design it, doesn't build it, doesn't service it, doesn't warranty it.

Majority of A855s pop out of 4th gear, even before GFI switched to cheaper parts.

If he had integrity he would remove his name from it, break any association with it, and stop marketing it as his own.

If he had any decency he would get on these Mopar forums and address concerns, and spread the word that it has a know issue.

His complete silence on Mopar forums regarding an exclusive Mopar aftermarket 5 speed bolt in trans speaks volumes.

GFI was so in the red with the A855, because it's garbage, they suckered Huff into investing six figures, and he has an A855 in his own b-body that pops out of 4th, shows you his level of intelligence.

Those that have a 'good' trans are the minority, not speculative.

Those on the 'list' should remove themselves.
Note, the list is baloney, here is just one example: some trans are sent to Huff for testing, all are supposed to be sent but that's another issue. Huff is supposed to send them back to be sold but he'll sell them if he can find a buyer himself because he lost all his investment.

Those considering one should find another solution.

Passon, GFI, and Huff are all criminals for continuing to market and sell transmissions with a well known and chronic flaw.

Auto Transport Service
Back