• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People with Comp cams experience?

Neal Zimmerman

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at a pair of brand new rebuilt 906 heads with all new stainless valves and COMP cams springs, retainers, etc. The spring installed are dual springs , part no. 924-16.

What size cam do I need to run with these springs? Are they too much for a street car?

And if they are too much can I remove them and replace them with single springs, or do I then need to replace the retainers, etc. as well?
Thanks
Neal

I think your going about it in reverse as many cams will work with that profile. Xe275HL and XE285HL I believe recommend those springs.
Pick your cam and then the springs.

Last edited:
Choose your cam first then get the specified springs. New retainers are not always required depending on spring size. 440'

I wouldn’t buy a comp flat tapper cam nowadays.

last year I watch my buddy put TWO XE268’s in a 440

BOTH went flat on the run stand no less than 3 weeks apart.

Put an old NOS MP cam and lifters from around 2000 in there and all has been well since.

also just put a BB Comp timing chain set with multiple key ways in another motor a month ago and it would not degree right. Way messed up.

Same guy has a bullet cam with oil-hole/EDM Solid Lifters and all has been well in last 6 months.

Last edited:
I had my Comp Cam hardened for a few dollars more. I also run NOS lifters from the 80s. No problems yet.

I wouldn’t buy a comp flat tapper cam nowadays.

last year I watch my buddy put TWO XE268’s in a 440

BOTH went flat on the run stand no less than 3 weeks apart.

Put an old NOS MP cam from around 2000 in there and all has been well since.

also just put a BB Comp timing chain set with multiple key ways in another motor a month ago and it would not degree right. Way messed up.

Same guy has a bullet cam with oil-hole/EDM Solid Lifters and all has been well in last 6 months.
I don't have a lot of experience with different cams but this is my take as well hearing from others. Comp is shipping stuff that isn't good and flat out of spec.

My comp solid cam would not go in the block where a new mp cam was, journals were too big, many others have had this same problem.

I just put these springs in a 460 Ford. Some idiot had springs with 155# on the seat, and the results were catastrophic. The 924 springs are duals, but only have 112# on the seat at 1.900", perfect for the street properly set up.

Another witness to the crappery of Comp flat tappet cams and lifters, right here...
I'd be sourcing everything from another reputable vendor.

It's been several years ago that I've dealt with them. Their tech section sucked and so did their service. Order one thing and get another......that kind of crap turned me off of dealing with them.

I am looking at a pair of brand new rebuilt 906 heads with all new stainless valves and COMP cams springs, retainers, etc. The spring installed are dual springs , part no. 924-16.

What size cam do I need to run with these springs? Are they too much for a street car?

And if they are too much can I remove them and replace them with single springs, or do I then need to replace the retainers, etc. as well?
Thanks
Neal
1) Get a Comp Cams catalog.

2) Look in the Mopar big block sections for which cams the 924 spring is suggested.

3) Go to the spring section and look up the 924 spring and see what retainer is suggested for that spring.

4) Slide through the retainers listed under the springs and see what springs you can use that same retainer on.

5) This isn't rocket science.......you just have to be smarter than the catalog.

1) Get a Comp Cams catalog.

2) Look in the Mopar big block sections for which cams the 924 spring is suggested.

3) Go to the spring section and look up the 924 spring and see what retainer is suggested for that spring.

4) Slide through the retainers listed under the springs and see what springs you can use that same retainer on.

5) This isn't rocket science.......you just have to be smarter than the catalog.
I can do the first 4 steps listed above for you and post them in this thread.

I get $70/hr.

Also, I have had no failures with Comp Cams products........though I'm not impressed with their tech line.

Also, I have had no failures with Comp Cams products........though I'm not impressed with their tech line.
Pretty much with me too like I mentioned above.....once I got the right parts lol

Im using the 924-16 springs on my sons XE275HL and my MP .528 purple shaft. Good pressure for street driving.

I haven't had any problems with CompCams products, but I don't take any chances. I use roller lifters in everything.

Im using the 924-16 springs on my sons XE275HL and my MP .528 purple shaft. Good pressure for street driving.

When did you buy them?

I have a Comp cam and rockers from 2010. No issues.

....But the newer stuff :wtf:

I guess maybe I should have worded my question differently and just asked if the 924-16 is a good street spring. I am not going to run a Comp cam. I have been looking at the purple stripe .509.
Neal

I guess maybe I should have worded my question differently and just asked if the 924-16 is a good street spring. I am not going to run a Comp cam. I have been looking at the purple stripe .509.
Neal
Neal, the 509 is NOT a good street cam! Too much overlap and not enough vacuum.

Auto Transport Service
Back