• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Permatex on water pump

Mr Bowers, I will try to enlighten you. A fan clutch, regardless of style allows the fan to spin slower when engine is cooler to reduce parasitic drag/hp loss. A thermo fan clutch has a spring, which when hot locks up the clutch and allows fan to spin "at" engine speed. There are "No" gears inside of it to somehow make it spin faster than the pulley it is attached to. A non-thermo clutch uses a viscous fluid to do something similar but again, does not have any gears inside to somehow make it spin faster. The only way to make it spin any faster is using a different pulley. Changing w/p to crank pulley ratio. But the fan will "Never" spin faster than the pulley.

You are absolutely correct re the operation of the fan clutch. The temperature sensing unit clutch senses the air temp and when below the sensing element's setpoint, DISENGAGES and allows the blades to freewheel. When the air temperature sensed is above its setpoint, the clutch remains ENGAGED to allow the blades to operate at the clutches driven RPM to allow more air flow. The other type of fan clutch is a TORQUE drive, where the blade's RPM is limited to a given amount of torque required to drive the blades REGARDLESS of temperature....as origional Mopar engines such as the HEMI, 440 six barrel and 340 six barrel. Not exactly sure why #6 has a difgicult time understanding the concept. I'm on your side.....
BTW.....
upload_2021-10-9_13-49-29.png

The correct answer is 9......
BOB RENTON

You are absolutely correct re the operation of the fan clutch. The temperature sensing unit clutch senses the air temp and when below the sensing element's setpoint, DISENGAGES and allows the blades to freewheel. When the air temperature sensed is above its setpoint, the clutch remains ENGAGED to allow the blades to operate at the clutches driven RPM to allow more air flow. The other type of fan clutch is a TORQUE drive, where the blade's RPM is limited to a given amount of torque required to drive the blades REGARDLESS of temperature....as origional Mopar engines such as the HEMI, 440 six barrel and 340 six barrel. Not exactly sure why #6 has a difgicult time understanding the concept. I'm on your side.....
BTW.....
View attachment 1177368
The correct answer is 9......
BOB RENTON
That image is my funny way of saying their opinion is incorrect.

Just wanted to add my experience from East Coast swampy overheating. Over a six month period, I had great success with FlowKooler waterpumps and their Robertshaw Thermostats for my 440. When I combined that with the repro clutch fans from Tony's Parts, and a Glen-Ray recore of my radiator, I could sit in traffic for an hour and have no problems -- no powered fans. My move out north of LA in the dry High Desert a few years ago gave me similar results. No overheating, except I had to address vapor lock and solved that with a new vapor return. YMMV...

Auto Transport Service
Back