• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Personal Favourite '74-79 Mopars

Cool wagon. I've been wanting to replace the family short-bus SUV with a wagon for years but the primary short-bus driver isn't hip to it. Now the kids are almost all grown up and I see my reasonable excuses for buying a wagon going away...*sigh*...I'll miss em.

Crosswinds intake is a good choice if you wanna run w Magnum heads, but you probably already know that and why.

"Purple Stripe cam?"
You mean the MP Purple cam series?
I'd second guess that and give you a IMHO, look at a Comp, Hughes or Lunati for driveabilty over the MP Purple line of cams.

Been there done that, small block nut speaking here.

Jonn, the Purple cams have a feel like a light switch that turns on and off. It's either way. Unlike my Comp Cams feel, like a sliding switch that turns on the lights slowly until bright.
There not overly rowdy but do show low vacuum as compared to others, but only a hair lower.

In order to drive the street with one, you must take care in installing it and it will be fine. I have run a 292/.509 with power brakes. Sometimes, they would not be there.

I have run into the same problem...several times using the purple shafts, If I may make a recommendation try looking at Lunati's Street /Strip models I have had GREAT luck running the p/n 30402 it;s a fairly stout cam...465/465 lift with a 228/235 split duration @ .050...and if you'll drop it in at a 104-06 center line, it will give you a VERY nice pull from 1800 to 5800, OR if ya wanna go a lil more daring try the Lunati Braket Master1 series, recommendation.. the 0043 model 480/480 lift and 230/230 duration @.050,.... I've had real good luck running the Isky "505" cam it's a 236/244 duration at .050 good sounding cam and works really well...PERSONALLY, I have run and continue to run, the purple shafts and love em , they are quirky, but once you understand their characteristics, their controlable, and they are DEFINETLY light switches hope this doesnt confuse you to much...good luck Merry Christmas

I chose a 340 4 speed style cam 268* 272*.450"..455 The wagon is going to be cruising with the A/C blowing cold. I'll be using 1.7 rockers with it so the lift will go up a little. I don't care so much about the light switch effect too much, I have patience so if need be I can degree it around to get what I want. You can get a Comp cam with close to the same numbers. Chevy lobes on everybody's cams except Mopar & Hughes Racing. .904 lifter tech. I figured that I'd try the wide lobe again that Hughes preaches about. We have a bunch of other cams but they are too big for what I want. I'm gonna be tuning for power & HWY MPG with a 500 or 518 OD with lock up. Probably the 500 first though to clear the trans tunnel better. If it won't hold then I'll deal with it. 3.91's with a 28 " tire.

I put Comp version in my 1 Ton Club cab years ago & it worked on the Hwy towing a car & car trailer.70 MPH & 15MPG w/4.10's J heads w/2.02 1.6 valves Maybe a twist of this combo will do what I want with the wagon. I had to change to a big block drive shaft after preloading a little & stomping from a dead stop unloaded. No spin just a pretzal for a drive shaft. I figure 20 HWY & low 9's high 8's in the 1/8 mile for the wagon.

I bought old tired rebels 78 cordoba, but my favorite is the 76-77 cordoba

Bet with the right gear, and a fresh tune-up you'll see 8.50 easy.... thats where mine started and I know you cant weigh more than mine did...llolololol...best right now with all the mods is a 7.35, consistant 7.5s

My last wagon [ a 68 Sport Suburban ] RAN A 9.18 in the 1/8 smoking a pair of 285/40/18 Nitto tires with a tuned stock 383 The 75 is at least 700 pounds lighter & should make more power & a looser converter will put the motor in the torque band.

sounds like a fun project and a fun ride...!!! alot of the general mopar public under estimate what the last generation B bodies are capable of, especially the LA equiped 318/360's yes they're big , heavy, and underpowered from the factory...BUT....with a few bucks and a little practical expierence, they really can become a motoivating machine...Let us know how it coming along...

you guys can check out my favorite . 77 charger SE under 4th generation muscle in the members projects and restoration threads.take a peek, you may like it or hate it but, heres a little taste...

Attachments

• 445.jpg
    445.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 322
That reminds me of a 76 Daytona that I used have & wish I still had.

sounds like a fun project and a fun ride...!!! alot of the general mopar public under estimate what the last generation B bodies are capable of, especially the LA equiped 318/360's yes they're big , heavy, and underpowered from the factory...BUT....with a few bucks and a little practical expierence, they really can become a motoivating machine...Let us know how it coming along...
I figure that I'll be doubling the factory horsepower rating for around $500.00. It has some pep since I put a shorter tire on the rear. Hot Rod Power Tour support vehicle. I figure that I better go this coming year. my buddies have been doing the whole thing for years now & haven't broken anything yet. I feel that out of the three of them the lucky streak has to be coming to an end. Drag,burnout,curves,stopping all the contests. Especially my buddy Chris he got 6th out of 200 in the curves beating the crap out of his 200K+mile 6speed Z 28 AJ's valiant is making some good power now so I bet the 7.25 rear will take a dump. I can carry the case of oil that won't fit in the trunk of Woody's Mustang Vert too.

I bought old tired rebels 78 cordoba, but my favorite is the 76-77 cordoba

I've got two 76s for sale in Texas, and I'm not too far from OK.

I like the 300s and Magnums, but my preferences it towards the round headlights too.

I know...it isn't a B body, but this was my first Mopar. My second favourite to a convertible 70 Road Runner, which I could not find at the time...I sold this one, and now have my Road Runner.

Attachments

• 79 RT Small.jpg
    79 RT Small.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 271
I like the St Regis. Its almost a B bodiy. I had a squad package one. I replaced the 360 with a 440. Used a cordoba k frame. Right now I'm restoring a 77 CHP Monaco. I would like a 69 GTX conv. Had one years ago. I also like the 72 GTX runner. But alas all I can afford is the squad.

1977 Cordoba would be my favorite since I just got one today, 67K original miles one owner, 400-4, counsel. This car has always been garage kept, its as nice as its get for 34 years old.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back