• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems anyone using it?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
Want to change from points and a friend suggested Per Tronix. 318, Anyone have some feed back?

I've had one in for years. No issues.

4-12-18 111.jpg

I have converted many cars in the past 15 years. No issues, I suggest that you use their coils.

I suggest you pertronix users keep an extra rotor in the car in case it fails. You cannot go to the parts store and buy one it has the green sensor ring on it to make it function.

1E6EED87-55C1-44E7-A643-4FB6E2461EDA.jpeg

Hey Dave, I have Pertronix in my 68 and 70. No problem at all. They work great. Sorry I missed your text earlier.

Just burnt one up after 10k miles

Man Dave, giving up on the points so soon? Where’s your sense of adventure? :poke:

I put one in a friend's 351 cleveland Mach 1 and it's been going for 8 years. Then helped another friend put one in his inline 6 mustang -- that was four years ago. Both of them drive them weekly.

Using them for over 20 years with no problem.
READ the instructions.Use the proper coil as the Pertronix Kits differ between I II III and the latest offerings.
Some you by pass the ballast. I have always used the Pertronix I kits without fail.
Keep all your points parts in a box in the trunk for insurance and you will never need them.

I suggest you pertronix users keep an extra rotor in the car in case it fails. You cannot go to the parts store and buy one it has the green sensor ring on it to make it function.

View attachment 1377163
Mine has a collar that slip on over the rotor. I've been runnin 2 Pertronix II's for over 20 years each with no problems. Good Luck

Pertronix 3 is in the Roadrunner Dave. Only been in a few years but no problems.

Running one of their conversion kits in a boat with a small block Chevy. No problems after 4 years.

Mine has a collar that slip on over the rotor. I've been runnin 2 Pertronix II's for over 20 years each with no problems. Good Luck
Look at the differences in these rotors. White is stock, black is pertronix. How are you going to swap the green ring to a stock rotor? It is too small and too much gap to the pickup. This is what I am looking at when I type my post. And toolman Mike has the same setup.

Now maybe they changed the rotor as the system evolved.

42E283F8-BFC7-4BD3-997D-F0664618E1C1.jpeg

49893D9C-E731-471C-8DBF-2FD37DE957DC.jpeg

B6B5B2D8-249E-40AF-807A-6BEB003B3E2E.jpeg

683E7402-F282-4133-ABEB-7535F16BEAC8.jpeg

I'm not sure what the issue is. You can pull the hall effect ring from the black rotor and put in on the white rotor. Or use the black rotor/hall effect.
20221123_141105.jpg

That is standard in the Pertronix 2. If he buys the pertronix 3, there is no collar. Spark is timed off the lobes on the distributor.

I am using the Pertronix 2 in my 62 Belvedere, with solid state ignition box and Flamethrower coil. Retrofit on my points distributor.. Runs perfect. It is about 8 years old.

I also have a pertronix 3 in my GTX. No hall effect, multi spark, rev limiter. Also being used with solid state ignition and Flamethrower coil. Retrofit on my old distributor. Runs perfect.
20170503_162221.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back