• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pics from Back in the Day

Are the wheel wells white? After all, the majority of the car is white so that car doesn't look gag at all!
Yes they are. Couldn't bring myself to bedliner them lol

Do you guys ever remember people painting the suspension florescent orange, or was that just a Canadian thing?

Sure seemed local. Even when we started cruising Broadway in 87/88, lots of the cars had white diffs, especially the guys running longer shackles. I had an 84 Regal with fatties and we painted its diff white. Dont even think we cleaned it, just spray bombed it.

Really? Was that pretty local?
Never saw that in se Michigan

Last edited:
IMG_3285.jpeg

The red (or white) wheel wells on the 53-54 Buick Skylark were painted. The 70-71 Olds 442 front fenderwells mentioned were painted red and the red was also visible when you opened the hood. (edit: I have been corrected. The red front fender wells on the 442 were plastic, not metal.) On the 442 the red wheel wells were only on the front. The red plastic wheel well liners were available on the 66-67 GTO. Then Plymouth offered them on the 68-69 Barracuda coupes and fastbacks. They weren't offered on the Barracuda convertible as the rear inner wheel wells were a different shape. The red plastic liners were an appearance option only. But, one of my 68 Barracudas has them and I credit them from saving the front fenders and rockers from rusting out. The rear liners don't extend far enough down at the rear to protect the lower rear quarters, but certainly protected the wheel wells and the surrounding body.

1709848567091.png

1709848584461.png

1709848654774.png

Last edited:
The red (or white) wheel wells on the 53-54 Buick Skylark were painted. The 70-71 Olds 442 front fenderwells mentioned were painted red and the red was also visible when you opened the hood. On the 442 the red wheel wells were only on the front. The red plastic wheel well liners were available on the 66-67 GTO. Then Plymouth offered them on the 68-69 Barracuda coupes and fastbacks. They weren't offered on the Barracuda convertible as the rear inner wheel wells were a different shape. The red plastic liners were an appearance option only. But, one of my 68 Barracudas has them and I credit them from saving the front fenders and rockers from rusting out. The rear liners don't extend far enough down at the rear to protect the lower rear quarters, but certainly protected the wheel wells and the surrounding body.

View attachment 1623515

View attachment 1623516

View attachment 1623517
Very interesting, never knew some of this!

The red (or white) wheel wells on the 53-54 Buick Skylark were painted. The 70-71 Olds 442 front fenderwells mentioned were painted red
While the other cars were painted red, the Olds 442 inner fenders were molded plastic; black for standard models and red for the W-30 models. They didn't get painted. These are still reproduced for the aftermarket.

The red Olds ones were 66 - 71 and as Photon pointed out they were plastic and on W-30 models only. The GTO ones were also plastic, but they were an option available on any 66 - 67 GTO. If you got that option, they would be front and rear, not just front like the Olds ones. If you optioned the GTO red fender well liners they were not put on at the factory, they were shipped in the trunk and the dealer put them on over the factory steel fender wells. The Olds ones were for reduced weight, the GTO ones were purely esthetic.

Different areas of course had their own things, but painted diffs, painted wheel wells, tinted dome lights, 8 tracks, cbs, you guys had all the fun!:bananaweed:

I hate to admit it now, but I think I remember painting the rear axle in my 1969 SuperBee white. It must have been an area thing back then. Our town had a nearby drag strip. I don't know if there was some influence from that?

Do you guys ever remember people painting the suspension florescent orange, or was that just a Canadian thing?
The red (or white) wheel wells on the 53-54 Buick Skylark were painted. The 70-71 Olds 442 front fenderwells mentioned were painted red and the red was also visible when you opened the hood. On the 442 the red wheel wells were only on the front. The red plastic wheel well liners were available on the 66-67 GTO. Then Plymouth offered them on the 68-69 Barracuda coupes and fastbacks. They weren't offered on the Barracuda convertible as the rear inner wheel wells were a different shape. The red plastic liners were an appearance option only. But, one of my 68 Barracudas has them and I credit them from saving the front fenders and rockers from rusting out. The rear liners don't extend far enough down at the rear to protect the lower rear quarters, but certainly protected the wheel wells and the surrounding body.

View attachment 1623515

View attachment 1623516

View attachment 1623517
Man, don't recall any of that stuff!! Learnt sometin new today.....

I just told my wife this story, and she asked if it made jacking the rear end up easier in the dark, if need be. Hmmm, never knew why it was done truthfully. Coolness statement? Or mechanical easiness at night?

I hate to admit it now, but I think I remember painting the rear axle in my 1969 SuperBee white. It must have been an area thing back then. Our town had a nearby drag strip. I don't know if there was some influence from that?

I remember that for sure. I painted my rear axle florescent orange along with the lower rad cradle on my 69 340 swinger along with air shocks, shackles, shock extensions, high back bucket seats velour inserts, Dimond tuff door panels and not to leave out fuzzy dice. Now hopefully you won't judge me but it was 1976 and the pharmaceutical and organic treats were strong and plentiful.

Auto Transport Service
Back