• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piman Arm Help

62Fury

Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, I had to replace my pitman arm (power steering) I got a new one, put it on and it won't line up to the center link properly.
It can only go on one way, that is if you want it to face the proper direction (due to the 4 splines).
When it does line up, the steering wheel has to be turned extremely far in one direction. What the heck did I do wrong?

:steering:

How does it compare to the old one? Like stated, sounds like the wrong arm.
Thought they looked the same. I’ll check them closely the morning to be sure. Thanks for the advice!

You can remove the pitman arm and move it to the next set of splines which will move the arm to the right or to the left.

You can remove the pitman arm and move it to the next set of splines which will move the arm to the right or to the left.
You had better rethink that idea. 90 degrees would be right off the chart.

When you replaced your tie rod ends did you count the amount of turns it took to remove them then install the new ones the same amount of turns? Did you replace the inner tie rods also?

Have you removed the center link during all of this?

18595 T R W / K 780 MOOG is 100 % correct..... what part number did you get, indeed ???

I have the best price on U.S.A. made PITMAN ARM s....

P.M. me, as per forum rules, if interested..... Craig.....

When you replaced your tie rod ends did you count the amount of turns it took to remove them then install the new ones the same amount of turns? Did you replace the inner tie rods also?

Have you removed the center link during all of this?
When I removed the tie rods, I noticed the Pitman was shot so I removed it. I did have to loosen the center link on RH side to swing it away to remove the Pitman but did not remove center link completely. I have not replaced the tie rod ends yet. I'm working on getting the Pitman in first. I bought all new inner and outer tie rods and new sleeves. I'm laying the new tie rods and sleeves next to old ones and measuring to be sure they are as exact as possible length to the old ones before I install them. Firstly though, I need to get the proper pitman arm for this old beast.

When I removed the tie rods, I noticed the Pitman was shot so I removed it. I did have to loosen the center link on RH side to swing it away to remove the Pitman but did not remove center link completely. I have not replaced the tie rod ends yet. I'm working on getting the Pitman in first. I bought all new inner and outer tie rods and new sleeves. I'm laying the new tie rods and sleeves next to old ones and measuring to be sure they are as exact as possible length to the old ones before I install them. Firstly though, I need to get the proper pitman arm for this old beast.
What is the part # of the pitman arm you purchased? Did you center the steering wheel/ steering box? Did the new arm compare to the old?

What is the part # of the pitman arm you purchased? Did you center the steering wheel/ steering box? Did the new arm compare to the old?
Here ya go. And the splines seem to match up on these Pitmans. I’m going to count the teeth in between now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back