• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ping in my 440

Canadian1968CoronetR/T

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
I have developed a ping under load or taking off normal on my 440 engine, now I just went to standard brakes which I know should not have made any difference, so the question is fuel or did the mechanic play with timing. Can this cause problems if I run car like this?

Sounds like a detonation issue and yes this can trash a piston if not resolved, but a little more info is needed.

Standard brakes as in eliminated the power booster? Check to see if the vacuum fitting is plugged properly. A lean engine will have a tendency to ping.

Pinging is running lean. Can be from a vaccum leak. But if that is not suspect, you can either retard timing a little or get higher octane gas.

Running vac advance? If so, do you know how much vac advance+your total mech advance?

Ping OR commonly known as Pre-detonation (GOOGLE This) will destroy your Connecting Rod bearings.

Now, you state: "or did the mechanic play with timing"

So, I take it you do not work on your car too much and you do not know what was done.
1. Call him up and ask.
2. Start your car, pull off the Vac Adv on distributor and shoot a timing light on your Ballancer pully to see timing.
3. Check for Vac leak at brake booster.

I'm guessing the mechanic wouldn't have touched the distributor, if you didn't ask him to. Id put my money on the vaccuum fitting too.
Maybe the brake swap is just a coincidence, there are other factors that can contribute to pinging too; timing, overheating issues, bad gas, lean tuning...

I had a ping in mine when I stomped on it but then started mixing in a few gallons of racing fuel. Car loves it and could advance the timing a little. By my calculations it brings it up to 95-96 mixing 3 gallons with 91. Standard octane levels back in the day were a lot higher than now. I think reg was 92-93 and premium broke 100 back in late 60's early 70's. Even if not the source of your problem, it should help your ping if you can get any around you. Octane boosters do not do enough to make it worth it for the money.

Auto Transport Service
Back