• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pinion nut torque specs for 8 3/4 489

With a crush sleeve or shims? Crush sleeve is done by a procedure. There really is not a true torque.

I believe on 742s with shims I think it’s 240 ft lbs. I’ve read that’s a bit excessive on a 489 but I did get mine up to over well over 200 just to be safe.

The 1970 service manual says 170 minimum for the #9. That’s with the stock crush sleeve not an aftermarket spacer.

might be good to read the service manual and get the procedure.

#1 and #2 housing FSM says 240 minimum.

The 1970 service manual says 170 minimum for the #9. That’s with the stock crush sleeve not an aftermarket spacer.

might be good to read the service manual and get the procedure.

#1 and #2 housing FSM says 240 minimum.
Thats why I did not suggest a torque spec. Most do not understand the procedure which will require almost twice the torque spec to start crushing the sleeve. Then its about preload.

Thats why I did not suggest a torque spec. Most do not understand the procedure which will require almost twice the torque spec to start crushing the sleeve. Then its about preload.
Agree.... really need the factory service manual to do that one correctly.

Last edited:
Using a dial type in lb. torque wrench, shoot for around 25in lbs. of rotating force or pre-load on the pinion bearings. This is the value to rotate the pinion shaft in the carrier housing WITHOUT the differential case/carrier present. Also, do not use the 'breakaway' torque value that's required to 'start' rotating the pinion shaft.

Using a dial type in lb. torque wrench, shoot for around 25in lbs. of rotating force or pre-load on the pinion bearings. This is the value to rotate the pinion shaft in the carrier housing WITHOUT the differential case/carrier present. Also, do not use the 'breakaway' torque value that's required to 'start' rotating the pinion shaft.
This is what I was looking for n either mist it or didn’t read it correctly.

I like to put a dab of red Loc-tite on the nut too....AND like to throw away those dang crush sleeves and use a solid spacer in it's place and set it up like the 42's and 41's.

mine is a solid sleeve, thanks cranky
A 3/4" fine thread with a grade 8 nut can be torqued to over the factory spec but does it really need to be that tight?? How much pressure can a thin shim take? How much can the spacer take?

New bearings and used bearings are a different rotational torque value. What are you quoting here?

There’s all new bearings in the unit, thanks guys for info

Auto Transport Service
Back