• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Piston to valve clearance

mopar_chuck

Local time
5:07 PM
Reaction score
Here are the details. 383 with flat tops, no valve reliefs, black has been decked .020”, heads planned .050”. We are running the .484” cam with adjustable rocker arms. With the recommended lash (using solid lifters) there is just under .100” for clearance and this is with the steel shim head gasket. Should I be concerned with this clearance or would it be wise to go with the thicker head gasket? Tks

Which valve? 4 speed or auto? Probably okay.

Did you get the intake cut also? Hope so.

more likely than not the rockers will have a higher ratio than advertised. tappet pre-load is a big factor if your revving the engine up. keeping the valve train out of "float" will go a long way towards keeping the valves off the pistons. .100" should be ok for a stable valve train.

So would it be safe to say that .080” would be the absolute minimum?

So would it be safe to say that .080” would be the absolute minimum?
I would not try to slice hairs with piston to valve clearance with a 383. I've bent several intake valves and actually busted a head with these issues and a 383 with flat tops. hydraulic cams make matters worse. what ever the tappet pre-load is is how much the tappet will pump up and how much valve lift will increase if the springs are floated. i'll almost bet you have .515" lift at the valve with adjustable rockers; could be wrong but doubt it. i'd almost bet you've got some retainer to guide issues if your using unmodified iron heads. tight lobe separation angles and advancing the cam will decrease piston to valve clearance on the intake side.

Oh man, I've pulled a lot of heads off of 383's that showed the valves dancing off of the pistons.....stock even.

I would not try to slice hairs with piston to valve clearance with a 383. I've bent several intake valves and actually busted a head with these issues and a 383 with flat tops. hydraulic cams make matters worse. what ever the tappet pre-load is is how much the tappet will pump up and how much valve lift will increase if the springs are floated. i'll almost bet you have .515" lift at the valve with adjustable rockers; could be wrong but doubt it. i'd almost bet you've got some retainer to guide issues if your using unmodified iron heads. tight lobe separation angles and advancing the cam will decrease piston to valve clearance on the intake side.
We are using solid lifters so the valve lift should be consistent. Looking back on it, we should have invested in a set of pistons so this would not be an issue but the ones we have are new from when this build was started many years ago... so we will work with what we have for now and build a proper motor after the car is on the road.

Oh man, I've pulled a lot of heads off of 383's that showed the valves dancing off of the pistons.....stock even.
I hear ya. Last winter, we (my father and I) rebuilt a 440 that had evidence of this too. And it even had valve reliefs in the pistons. This is why dad wants to use the thicker head gasket for added insurance but then we drop in compression by almost half a point. It’s a perfect 9.5:1 with the steal shim gasket. Would we really be loosing that much performance dropping to 9:1?

Intake valve, there was lots more on the exhaust. It is an auto

If you have a good spring on it and running solid lifter, you'll be fine. What lash do you run with your solid lifter on a hydraulic cam?

If you have a good spring on it and running solid lifter, you'll be fine. What lash do you run with your solid lifter on a hydraulic cam?
Yes, the heads are ported 906 and rebuilt with heavier springs. The lash will be set at .020”. We were unsure about running the hydraulic cam with solid lifters, but Jim from racer brown said it’s not an issue. We always push toward a solid lifter set up when building an engine, especially a Mopar.

Auto Transport Service
Back