• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pitted ring gear......?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
Anyone else besides me do this? I've used them before and had good results in street cars. Got a 3.91 many years ago that had been sitting in a wrecking yard pickup for a very long time and the part of the ring that wasn't submerged in the gear oil rusted. Pulled it apart, cleaned everything up and bead blasted the gears after talking to one of the tech guys at work. He said if it was quiet before they rusted, it would most likely be quiet after since there was still plenty of base metal still there and they were. The 3.91 was the first time to try that and have done it a few more times over the years. Reason I'm bringing this up is because I ran across a 3.23 for a 42 and after cleaning it, I found some pitting on it. Was planning on throwing it up on the site in the for sale forum but now I'm just thinking about giving them away. Kinda hate to scrap them but.....I'll never use them even if they weren't pitted....

I was given a 657 case 8 3/4 (1958) with a 3.58 ratio. Actually the complete housing.Same as you there was rust on some of the teeth that didn't see lube for decades.Pulled it apart installed all new bearings and a sure grip.Cleaned up the teeth as best as possible and plan on running them in my 63.The 63 has a 3.23 open in it now. Figured heck might as well try it.
Anyway, someone will want them.

Yup I have done it many times with never any major issues, sometimes a bit more of a hum or growl but always worked fine.

In college I bought a set of 4.30's that were in a 5 gallon bucket along with other parts and it was full of water. Poured the water out and gave the guy $25 for everything.
I cleaned the gears with a wire wheel on a drill. Took about 2 hours to get them looking decent.
Installed them in a housing and then into the car. Never made a sound !!!
We were all pleasantly surprised.

Cranky, I was almost ready to pull the plug on acquiring a 3.91 in my sure grip. I have a 489 case. How much do you want for your 3.91?

Thanks
Rick
Texas

Cranky, I was almost ready to pull the plug on acquiring a 3.91 in my sure grip. I have a 489 case. How much do you want for your 3.91?

Thanks
Rick
Texas
I don't have that pitted one anymore.....but have another one that's already set up in a 41 case. It just needs a SG stuck in it. Heck, it might be pitted too as it's been sitting here for probably 20 years. It is sitting in a wood case though.

The 3.55 in my Challenger sat outside a while a was pitted. Original to the car. Never been rebuilt. Wire wheeled the rust off and slammed it in. Has over 100K miles, still quiet. Its been back in the car 16 years. plenty of abuse.
Doug

The set I was using for the last two years were pitted where the teeth stuck out of the oil. Cleaned them up and ran it. After awhile I could hear that section each time it came through the pinion. I'm thinking that's why the shim was hammered on like it was.
20200216_181200.jpg

20200216_181133.jpg

The set I was using for the last two years were pitted where the teeth stuck out of the oil. Cleaned them up and ran it. After awhile I could hear that section each time it came through the pinion. I'm thinking that's why the shim was hammered on like it was.
View attachment 955352
View attachment 955353
How bad was the pitting? The ones I had looked pretty bad but didn't hear anything.

How bad was the pitting? The ones I had looked pretty bad but didn't hear anything.

You might say that I'm more sensitive to sounds and vibrations then a lot of folks. Sometimes it's a bad thing on my part but I should have rebuilt this rear before installing it.

Before cleaning them up...
20170724_125923.jpg

1500 miles later...
20200121_131153.jpg

Got any pics of the drive side of the gears?

Auto Transport Service
Back