• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Playing with my 3D printer

Canadian1968

Local time
4:01 AM
Reaction score
Always thinking of new things to make with my 3D printer.

My latest little project was the dash emblem found in the center of the cluster.

I did one that was close to the original Charger " bullseye " and then made a mopar one just for fun.

Painted by hand , it's tedious but I'm really happy with how they came out.

They snap into place just like original

20230614_174848_copy_677x749.jpg

20230614_174859_copy_558x992.jpg

I need one, but I don't need one more time suck.

Ohh sorry you must mean 3d printer sucking up your time.... it's after work my brain is half off !

What is the material its made of and what is the final finish like ?

What is the material its made of and what is the final finish like ?
The material is a polymer resin that is cured with UV light. Once it is cured it very much like ABS or other plastics. You can buy resins, based on the characteristics of what your making. For these little emblems as well as Hood mounted blinkers that I make, I use a mixtures of 2 resins, that give a strong, yet slightly flexible finish, and then mix with another that has a heat resistance ( approx 130*C- 266*F ). The parts will never melt, which is another characteristic of the UV resin, but will get "soft" under extreme temp.

I am an automotive painter by trade. So I give these a light coat of 2k sealer, spray them all black, then use a brush to add the red and chrome. Finally they are clear coated. SO to answer your question the finish is like any plastic piece you would see on a car.

What model 3d printer do you use? I'd like to try this out for making parts.

What model 3d printer do you use? I'd like to try this out for making parts.

I personally use a Anycubic Mono X 4k printer . But basically any UV resin printer can make these. Depends on how big your part is and or if you wanted print multiple parts at one time .

The modeling software I use is Shapr3d.

If you have 0 experience with any of this ,there is quite a learning curve. Everything from printers , resins, modeling software and slicer software. And of course the safety of using this type of printer .

Although it is fun once u get it all setup. Let me know if you have any more questions

Can a 3-D printer make backup light lenses for a 1964 Plymouth? I know next to nothing about 3-D printers. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back