• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More 3D printer fun - shift light

Canadian1968

Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a shift light of some sort to help me keep my eyes on the track and not the dash when at the drag strip. Plus always wondered how accurate the 50+ tic - toc - tac actually is. I never wanted one of those monster tachs with the giant shift lights . I had seen a pretty decent setup from auto meter 5343 - digital tach . A nice compact setup that had a digital read out in the center surround by LED for shift points. Only problem was the $250 price tag after taxes .

I came by an RPM activated switch from summit last week. A little reading , and I was sure I could use this to activate a led light.. some quick brainstorming and a about hour on the computer and I had shift light housing drawn up in my CAD program.

Have included a few pics of the raw printed housing , also priting an amber colored lens for the face. Made a adjustable angle mount, probably going to mount to the over hang part of the dash. As long as I can find a location I like that doesn't interfere with my view of the gauges. But nice thing is , I can mount it basically anywhere I want becuase of small.compact size. I Just have Run wire to it.

As for the switch itself I do not have it yet but will figure a mounting location for it as well. Thinking of hiding it in the cigarette tray. Easy accessibility for adjustment and quick check for accuracy of the factory tach.

SUM-830453 - is the switch I will be using ..

20231118_185307.jpg

20231118_185409.jpg

20231118_185437.jpg

20231118_185445.jpg

Finished... very happy with it except the lens.

It's was crystal clear , I put layer of super glue around the edge where the lens was made to sit in. The glue reacted with the fresh clear on the inside and made it frosted in some areas and just made it look a bit sloppy. A piss off because I was pumped how well the domed lens worked as a magnifying glass amplified the LEDS inside. Still works great... just not as picture perfect as I was hoping for ! I have a cap made for it as well

20231120_195608.jpg

20231120_195528.jpg

Finally got the rpm switch. Here is a video of a quick test run. Wiring is temporary, just making sure everything works. Permanent install will be with a 3d printed bracket to attach to underside of the dash !

Auto Transport Service
Back