• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please check my 383 build. Does it work together?

mouserider

Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
Hey forum, can you please tell me if those parts can work together, it has some issues now, trying to figure them out.

So
383 2bbl
INDY tunnel ram
kb hypereutectic pistons (cant recall which ones exactly)
270 Performer-Plus cam
Holley sniper 2x4 EFI
MSD+CD BOX
compression 10.5 all cylinders
Vacuum 12-13

What im worrying about is cam and tunnel ram was placed at different time and i have doubts if they work together properly

Im not a car expert, so excuse me if im asking stupid questions. Just want to make sure nothing is wrong.
Thanks

Which heads? The original 383 ones?
Does the indy intake have max wedge ports?
That would be a bad combo

Which heads? The original 383 ones?
Does the indy intake have max wedge ports?
That would be a bad combo
yes, headers original 383
indy with max wedge ports

Can you please tell me what would be a better combo? Should i replace headers, cam or intake?

I'd be concerned about intake port leaks..

Are you saying you put a tunnel ram with max wedge sized ports on a set of 516 iron heads?? Is that what you mean by 383 2bbl??

Your whole bottom end including cam is designed to top out by 5000rpm. Your whole top end is designed to come in around 3500 rpm and top out much higher than the bottom end. Yes, bad mismatch.

What are you building? Is it a cruiser, or a drag strip motor? Sounds like the bottom end is a good cruiser and the top is for all out drag racing, with a big hole cut in your hood.

Very poor parts selection. Cam is a street cam & intake is a drag racing intake....

Are you saying you put a tunnel ram with max wedge sized ports on a set of 516 iron heads?? Is that what you mean by 383 2bbl??

Your whole bottom end including cam is designed to top out by 5000rpm. Your whole top end is designed to come in around 3500 rpm and top out much higher than the bottom end. Yes, bad mismatch.
Pretty much yes, guys I know, not very smart build, but it ended up like that, please tell me now what would be easiest and cheapest way to make it work, changing tunnel ram would be the hardest thing to do, good is already with cut and I already have 2x4 Efi and I like the look. I want it to be fully street car. It’s driving good now but bogs before acceleration. Should I put 230 cam? Thanks for understanding

So the only problem your having is a bog or hesitation just off idle? That might be a tuneable issue. What is your idle vacuum and timing. Both initial and total. And what rpm’s does it come in at.

So the only problem your having is a bog or hesitation just off idle? That might be a tuneable issue. What is your idle vacuum and timing. Both initial and total. And what rpm’s does it come in at.
Idle vacuum at 13 and initial timing 15 total 40. Thanks!

Could try a 4 hole intake spacer on both throttle bodies to get some response/air velocity back. Just a thought...may not help. About the cheapest thing to try.

Do you have a single O2 bug or dual? The dual might give you an idea if this is one bank or both. If you can record live data, it may be easier to find the problem.

okey guys, im sorry to get back to this, its been a tough year, i had a fuel delivery problem (fixed with intank pump 540 GPH from aeromotive) , i had a timing issues (fixed with complete new hyperspark set, now timing controlled by ecu) , initial timing set at 30. But that damn thing doesnt want to go, it bogs at WOT and then accelerates slower than 1.3 honda civic, now im 99% sure its not holley tune , as it was the same with old holley 450 carbs, old pump, old msd, old fuel lines, filters. i think its just bad tunnel ram/cam/gears combo. I know tunnel ram is not for the street use, but man, not by that much, and by now its too much of $ and tears buried there, i cant go back to dual plane intake. Its now me vs car. And i have to make it run.
Happy to swap cams/gears/different tunnel ram, just need some advise on the specs.

also im stupid enough to make this build in a small island in Mediterranean sea. There are probably only 2 mopars on island and probably only 1 with tunnel ram and efi in a 1000 km radius. So no help except you guys.

It sounds like you have been messing with it a lot since your post last year. Maybe layout the combination.
What car is it?
What rear end/ transmission and details of each.
I assume you are still trying to make a indy max wedge with huge ports work on top of a 383?

Does it have max wedge port size heads? What stall torque converter do u have in it? What ratio gears?
Sorry I should have give full specs
Charger 1971 se
383 stock
Sniper 2x4 dual quad
Indy tr
Stock heads/gears/torque converter
X pipe
270 cam
Hyperspark ignition controlled by ecu

So yeah, everything is pretty much stock

Auto Transport Service
Back