• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please help sorting out my 451 combo

Yes, already have it as well as Comp hydralic roller lifters and the rockers as well as TF240 heads with matching springs .

Will read the articles, thanks for posting

The cam on the cam card you have already- use it
B3racingengines.com (I think) and read all 3 tech articles
if running roller rockers here is a place to spend your hard earned dollars
I see round d round and buick at Scotts website but only cnc ported heads for mopar so I can't comment on his mopar grinds or is he using his chevy grinds?
making progress
cheers

How is this progressing?
Cheers!

Hi,
actually I wait for most of the parts.
Container in TX will be closed on wednesday so I‘m looking for nice christmas

While waiting old engine comes out

A22810E2-9727-47F4-B689-E5553F54CD71.jpeg 82DA8CA7-7778-427B-9F3C-E2CF19C2C12E.jpeg

Thanks, looking good!

C3E6626C-D229-4DF5-898E-7BE928CCCEF7.jpeg
DC735A1A-0C92-491C-91E1-A15AF87E7EAD.jpeg
8D509566-D6BA-4453-8FF3-C0E5AAFB8563.jpeg
4912B0A7-1427-46E1-8C41-A47E65AA27D9.jpeg
EC9F6344-CF06-41D7-8032-7EB2A86658E3.jpeg
Hello!
Finally most parts arrived.
Now we start with the block/rotating assembly.

are you going to mock it up at all 4 corners to check deck height, etc?
what bore?

Hello!
It‘s 4,360
Decks are checked and corrected.
Get‘s the mains checked and a few oiling mods too.

86BA26FE-D16E-4CB7-80BA-2D71F7A25721.jpeg 2E0281DF-EB8C-4071-86C4-C92B2165195A.jpeg

so estimate your quench with .028, .041, .052 gaskets
and target head ccs and resulting compression
I usually do not deck the block without a mock up of the deck clerance of the pistons
what oil mods
this is a stick?
I like to modify the thrust by drilling a .042 hole through the thrust bearing and web into the oil feed and then open up the bearing larger to pressure lube the thrust
also chamfer from the oil grove along both parting lines back toward the rear of the crank
for really high rpm or marine i mod the main oil feed to side oiler grove the block to the parting line and open the side of the bearings at the parting line to get oil in closer to where the dynamic wedge needs to be formed
have to think but I think there is a way to put an oil squirter on the oil pump drive / cam gear intersection
I also drill the front oil galley plugs .040 or so to bleed air and foam from the oil gallies and lube the chain
what else? (besides drilling the main feeds and the obvious radiusing of oil passages
on race/ boat builds I rig a remote oil pressure relief at the rear of the block and put a HP spring at the pump
Mike Jones has the best by far HR profiles
what's wrong with the old cam
I usually like to run what I have to get a baseline
get you head flows from somewhere
Looks GOOD

Hello!
Thanks for advice, I will think about ist.
Ist is planned a Milodon Road Race pan with single line external oiling, windage tray, thermostatic oilcooler, HV pump, enlarging oil passage, clean and smooth whatever is possible.
Will think about the rest.

Does ist make sense to connect an oil pressure line to the rear of the block and feed it with oil from the backside as well?

Btw the reason for my Engine failure.
Can‘t say what this did

so estimate your quench with .028, .041, .052 gaskets
and target head ccs and resulting compression
I usually do not deck the block without a mock up of the deck clerance of the pistons
what oil mods
this is a stick?
I like to modify the thrust by drilling a .042 hole through the thrust bearing and web into the oil feed and then open up the bearing larger to pressure lube the thrust
also chamfer from the oil grove along both parting lines back toward the rear of the crank
for really high rpm or marine i mod the main oil feed to side oiler grove the block to the parting line and open the side of the bearings at the parting line to get oil in closer to where the dynamic wedge needs to be formed
have to think but I think there is a way to put an oil squirter on the oil pump drive / cam gear intersection
I also drill the front oil galley plugs .040 or so to bleed air and foam from the oil gallies and lube the chain
what else? (besides drilling the main feeds and the obvious radiusing of oil passages
on race/ boat builds I rig a remote oil pressure relief at the rear of the block and put a HP spring at the pump
Mike Jones has the best by far HR profiles
what's wrong with the old cam
I usually like to run what I have to get a baseline
get you head flows from somewhere
Looks GOOD

8BFE3374-51C8-4113-B39E-DA97C78996AE.jpeg 21C8B7AF-99E9-4C78-B48F-452638FA7E2C.jpeg 145659E3-5C47-4CE7-B60C-3D00046CC4DF.jpeg

Are you planning sustained 6000+ rpms?, like autobahn speeds of 140 to 150 mph (225 - 240 kph)?

Hello!

Max rpm would be around 6500.
I don´t plan excessive Autobahn rpm´s;)
Just normal cruising and sometimes smashing the pedal down.

Are you planning sustained 6000+ rpms?, like autobahn speeds of 140 to 150 mph (225 - 240 kph)?

What actually failed on the first engine? The pump obiviously had debris go thru it. I've seen that kind of pump damage from nothing more that a fractured valve spring.
Doug

Are you doing this motor's oil system this way because of the previous motor's failure? Did you determine the true root cause of the previous failure?

What kind of hp are you looking at for this motor? Do you think a hydraulic roller will go 6500 in a BB Mopar? Are you bushing the lifter bores?

I've oiled through the front in chevies, boats, circle track, bonneville
mopar anyone?
dbl check lifter clearance - lifter bores make sense
You can oil the rocker shafts from the rear of the block elimination the feed through the cam bearing
watch those thermostatic oil cooler valves- some are restrictive
oil scraper is tough in BBM but- anyone?

Hi Sascha,
Nice project.
I´m actual building a simular engine.
470, 240 TF´s, hydraulic rollercam (Crane), Stroker kit 440source, ATI damper etc
I had bad luck, because my first 400 block has a crack.
Next blocks are waiting for Oliver´s container in Houston.
I have all other parts here.
I will continue to follow your thread!
Greetings from Saarland :thumbsup:

Hello!
Had two problems:
Minimal but consistent loss of coolant.
This was a fault in the block between cylinder 1 and the front coolant passage.

Second was the loss of oil pressure.
I didn´t found anything which could have caused this.
No spring, no roller, nothing

What actually failed on the first engine? The pump obiviously had debris go thru it. I've seen that kind of pump damage from nothing more that a fractured valve spring.
Doug

Hello!

I want a reliable long lasting engine.
Think it will have enough power for my needs but no concrete HP in minds.

The camshaft came from my previous engine, it made around 6400 / 6500rpm.
The bores weren´t bushed, no problems for years.

Are you doing this motor's oil system this way because of the previous motor's failure? Did you determine the true root cause of the previous failure?

What kind of hp are you looking at for this motor? Do you think a hydraulic roller will go 6500 in a BB Mopar? Are you bushing the lifter bores?

Thanks again!

I've oiled through the front in chevies, boats, circle track, bonneville
mopar anyone?
dbl check lifter clearance - lifter bores make sense
You can oil the rocker shafts from the rear of the block elimination the feed through the cam bearing
watch those thermostatic oil cooler valves- some are restrictive
oil scraper is tough in BBM but- anyone?

Good morning,

saw this in the Mopar Forum I think;)
Your build is interesting for me too.

Regards from Sprockhövel!

Will check your block, we unload this containers at my warehouse;)
Hi Sascha,
Nice project.
I´m actual building a simular engine.
470, 240 TF´s, hydraulic rollercam (Crane), Stroker kit 440source, ATI damper etc
I had bad luck, because my first 400 block has a crack.
Next blocks are waiting for Oliver´s container in Houston.
I have all other parts here.
I will continue to follow your thread!
Greetings from Saarland :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back