• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ported 522 heads for budget 440 worth the buy?

65PlymSatellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Will begin a budget build of a ‘71 440 going in a ‘65 Satellite here soon and looking for some not so pricey heads. Found some on CG somewhat in my area and was wondering if they were worth the buy (and drive). Guy wants $300. Don’t have $2000+ for aluminum heads, and I know a port job for my stock heads is not cheap either. Again, looking to do a budget build and will focus on piston and rod upgrades now, and play around with top end down the road.

Are these heads worth the buy? Just don’t want to buy something and regret it later. Learning as I go about this stuff, and realize the valves on this head aren’t as big as a say “915” head, but it’s not far off in numbers. Will the smaller valves make a huge difference in performance?
Should I pick up the heads or hold off?

This is seller’s description:

Chrysler Dodge Plymouth Casting #2128522, YEAR:1960-1961, ENGINE:361/383, B/RB-series big-block, VALVE SIZE:1.94/1.60, COMBUSTION CHAMBER:73.5cc

I wouldn't mess with them for one they use a different style of rocker stand which is different from the later casted stand that is part of the cylinder head also with the smaller valves and most likely the ports are going to small or smaller than the old 516 head that was used alot during the mid 60's. Much better off with a later 68 and newer big block head.

Also, if I remember correctly, will have only 4 valve cover hold-down bolts rather than the more common 6. Harder to get covers for, and much more prone to leaks.

Find some 906 or 452 heads, they are not pricey, and you can probably find a set that just need a basic refresh for less than that $300 . Even a 516 head if you want to up the compression some, but on those I would upgrade to bigger exhaust valves.

I agree, differences listed above with those early heads would make them a small pain and not likely to be great performers

I'd say they are WAY over priced.
The 516's with a mild pocket port and the 1.74 exhaust valve works very well. The small chamber, late model rockers, 6 bolt valve covers. 915's with the 1.74 valve or 906's are real good.

Find some 906 or 452 heads, they are not pricey, and you can probably find a set that just need a basic refresh for less than that $300 . Even a 516 head if you want to up the compression some, but on those I would upgrade to bigger exhaust valves.
I think I have a set of 906 heads the guy I bought the 440 from threw into the deal. He said they’re “worthless” with today’s California gas anyway.

There are still good cheap steel heads out there. I had a pair of complete "452's" for a long time before I took $200.00 for them. I have given away "906's" ; no hardened valve seats.

The best deal is the ones that are ported and done up but the guys going aluminum.

I think a 906 head with a little porting under the seat (or a deep cut race valve job) will make real good power. I doubt that lack of hardened seats makes any difference unless it's real daily driver. And a little octane booster/lead adder cures that. I don't see 522's worth anything.

The best deal is the ones that are ported and done up but the guys going aluminum.
That's how I got mine. Guy did heads in his home shop. They were ported probably back when no choice but iron. They have oversized valves, titanium retainers, that nobody wants. I paid 400 for mine a few years ago with a freshen up.
I think he took them in as partial trade checked them and sold them

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back