• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post 16 new question. Replaced timing chain now vibrates and idles high.

Nismobishi

Local time
8:06 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I removed a gear drive and installed a Comp Cams double roller chain. My marks are right on but now the vehicle vibrates when revving the engine and the idle rpm was at 1000 now its at 1200. It always had a slight vibration like if the harmonic balancer was going out but now it's a stronger vibration. This is a 1973 440 motor home block. It has a weighted harmonic balancer. Could the sprockets be marked wrong or cold the harmonic balancer have gotten damaged during removal? I used a puller but it was a bear. I had to soak it with PB Blaster and hit it with a mallet.

20230320_122814.jpg

20230320_122807.jpg

20230320_122703.jpg

Yes likely the balancer is junk.
It properly runs faster because it is timed better or you have a vacuum leak.

Probably balancer didn't survive the remove and reinstall. Vacuum leak, propane torch open but not lighted time.

It ran great before. It still runs great. Lots of power. But it vibrates more and idles higher. I didn't do anything vacuum related but I will check. Can banging on the balancer with a deadblow mallet do that much damage?

Would you all concur that my timing marks are spot on?

I'd say hitting on outter edge would be a problem. Start engine and look for a wobble from the side.

Tighten the balancer up enough?
Did the timing change?

Last edited:
Yes but the ignition timing could change if the valve timing changed, due to installing a completely different timing set.

Yes but the ignition timing could change if the valve timing changed, due to installing a completely different timing set.
Oh got it, yes I believe it is idling higher because the distributor timing probably advanced a little because of the new timing set.

Here is the cheapo I removed.

20230319_202114.jpg

Even if the timing was off a tooth, which it isn't according to my pictures above, that wouldn't cause vibrations through the Dash amd body right? It would cause crappy idle, power loss, and misfiring I believe.

If I get this balancer what would I need to get my belts lined up? I'm assuming since this balancer looks about an inch thinner than mine I will need some kind of pulley spacer? Or is mine just thicker on the timing cover side and the face of the balancer is in the same spot?

Screenshot_20230320_185204_Chrome.jpg

Never ever beat on a harmonic balancer!

They make pullers and installers for this job.
I used a puller and it started bending! I had to spray PB BLASTER and hit it while pulling then it popped free and stared to pull off.

If I install this balancer will I need to get a new longer pulley? Or will the face depth be the same as my current thick cast crank balancer?

Screenshot_20230320_185204_Chrome.jpg

If I install this balancer will I need to get a new longer pulley? Or will the face depth be the same as my current thick cast crank balancer?

View attachment 1437002
That will work but I believe the weight
supplied is only used on cast cranks.
440 source sells pulley shims
(if needed) to get the pulleys lined
up.
A trip to the junk yard may be
beneficial. Balancers rarely go bad
unless you beat on them.
AMC is a rare pup when it comes to
finding new replacement parts. I've
been running a junk yard balancer
for 20 years with zero issues.

That will work but I believe the weight
supplied is only used on cast cranks.
440 source sells pulley shims
(if needed) to get the pulleys lined
up.
A trip to the junk yard may be
beneficial. Balancers rarely go bad
unless you beat on them.
AMC is a rare pup when it comes to
finding new replacement parts. I've
been running a junk yard balancer
for 20 years with zero issues.
Thank you for the advice! I have a cast crank. I believe this balancer comes with a cast weight and a six pack weight.

Thank you for the advice! I have a cast crank. I believe this balancer comes with a cast weight and a six pack weight.
The balancer on my 440 has been
turned to work with a internally
balanced engine. It took a shim to get
the pulleys back in line.
20190509_083123-1~2.jpg
20180424_143753~2.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back