• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 9 second or Faster combo's

Briefly so as to not post out of place, but while I'm thinking about it, the Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block based 572 stroker I have been buying parts for that was intended for street/strip use has TrickFlow 270 heads, with their best springs for up to .700 lift. The cam w/T&D 1.6 rockers is around a .670 lift.
The other choice I was offered was Indy 572-13 heads, but I believe the 270s will suit my "less than all-out" performance goals.
I'm posting this as a question:
With a BMP block as a foundation with its 4.50 bore, what cylinder head choices are there depending on level of performance and applications?

Thanks in advance.

Cam specs of there not too too secret
Sure thing, nothing crazy for sure. 281/292 @.050, .800/.765" on a 115 lobe. Standard firing order. An older cam I had lying around that seems to work well with a B1 deal. Its apart right now, going to throw some compression and a bit more modern cam at it now. No crazy spring eater or pressures.

B1Mc head has a 2.400" intake valve. I have decided to stick with the originals. They are at Slawkos right now getting a tune up and new titanium valves.

B1Mc head has a 2.400" intake valve. I have decided to stick with the originals. They are at Slawkos right now getting a tune up and new titanium valves.
Again, I don't have nearly the experience many in this forum section do, but that is a HUGE intake valve, 2.400" and I would say that is "race only" in that low and mid range RPM performance would suffer from lower velocity. If I understand correctly, the intake valve size of the Boss 429, being so large, along with putting pollution crap on a race motor really hurt the street performance (and "cred") of the Boss 429 back in the day.
Again, apologies and not to hijack, it's just rare to have an opportunity to discuss certain specifics and it's on my mind:
It would seem like the TrickFlow MW port size 270s are a great choice even with a 572 displacement for no other reason than wanting street performance and drivability capabilities, which WAS my plan.
I will be fortunate if whatever I can scrape together to put the stroker in has a street capability, because right now, just finishing an 80% parts complete engine is going to take financial discipline and sacrifice, but if I don't finish it soon, I never will, and that would only compound the misery I suffer from having been forced to sell my Roadrunner.
To the OP and others here, thanks for your tolerance again.

Thanks, we'll get there. The additional port volume on the new heads alone will make a big difference. The old combo was a low buck deal using junk MP pistons (heavy, single pin oilers, big rings, etc. ), chunky Manley H-beams, etc. This new combo will using top shelf items. Lightweight diamond pistons with .043/.043/3mm rings, 7.100 Oliver rods, and the K-1 crank if it can be saved and a Callies if it can't. We're looking for another 100hp on motor and a bigger gain from the 300 shot with the additional volume.
Thats a lot of heat to transfer thru .043" rings. If the pistons aren't done you might want to rethink that. Either way a stainless or Hellfire piston ring.
Doug

Thats a lot of heat to transfer thru .043" rings. If the pistons aren't done you might want to rethink that. Either way a stainless or Hellfire piston ring.
Doug
That engine ran great that way. It’s living the easy life in a bracket car last I knew. I’m running the aluminum 540 hemi now with 1/16 AP Stainless rings and still twin 76s on E85.

Auto Transport Service
Back