• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

powder coating

prhousejr

Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
There is a local body shop here who does powder coating. Anyone ever used the chrome powder coating. A guy was telling me about it, and said it was a real close chrome look. I have not seen any in person, but have seen pics. Looks like it is actually pretty reflective. Any of you guys ever tried it on something as big as bumpers? It is a fraction of the cost of re-chroming.

Hang on. Cudachick will be here soon to give you all the info you really ever wanted. She runs Phoenix Specialty Coatings

Owner / Operator
PHOENIX SPECIALTY COATINGS
Where Your Parts Are Reborn
Professional Custom Powder Coating
for the Auto & Motorcycle Enthusiast
731-613-9192 (10-9 central time daily)
http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com

Hey pr ...

Chrome powders look pretty good on their own but most require a clear topcoat because they aren't UV stable; sunlight and the elements can oxidize it if it isn't sealed.

Your local place should be able to show you some samples of their work to help you decide. If they can't, shop around.

If your local shop doesn't work out and you aren't in a big hurry, give me a call in a couple weeks. My new oven (7' x 4' x 3') should be ready to fire up soon and I'll be doing larger parts in the near future. FBBO members get a 10% discount.

Would the average joe think it was chrome, or can you easily tell it is chrome powder?

pr, I won't pull your lariat and tell you it looks just like "real" chrome because it doesn't, especially when it's visually located immediately next to chrome (such as a chrome powder-coated bumper with real chrome bumperettes attached to it). You can tell at a glance it's not real chrome. Though it's got some nice reflective qualities and is extremely more affordable than chrome shops nowadays, it doesn't have that mirror finish you get with real chrome.

My standard chick answer I give people is that you can see yourself in it, but you couldn't tell if you had a blackhead or not.

Though I admittedly don't have the best camera in the world, there's a bunch of pictures on my website Gallery of powders called "Patented Ultimate Chrome," "Super Chrome," and "Reflective Chrome" to give you an idea of the variations available. I could also send you a free swatch of Super Chrome if you'd like to judge for yourself. PM me with your mailing address and I'll get it -- and any other colors you'd like to see -- on the way to you.

CudaChick1968, do you know what grit/material the shops are using to abrade the surface for clearcoat?
Good info...

66 B, if you just want to clear coat an already powder coated surface, a good rub down with a new Scotchbrite pad will give you the roughness needed for the powder to adhere. Make sure you don't leave any finger prints or they'll show up too. :-D

If you're wanting to clear bare metal, any glass bead, aluminum oxide or similar media will work just fine. I usually use Black Beauty black slag in a fine grit; though it costs a little more than blasting sand, it lasts a LOT longer (3-4 times), won't give you silicosis, and cuts much faster.

I'm always happy to answer questions. Keep them coming!

It just dawned on me I failed to announce the July Special on FBBO. Sorry for the late notice guys.

It's 20% off on any job over $100.00, and there's still a few days to get the parts here to take advantage of the sale. (I'll cut a little slack on the arrival date since I was extremely late in telling ya'll about it.)

66 B, if you just want to clear coat an already powder coated surface, a good rub down with a new Scotchbrite pad will give you the roughness needed for the powder to adhere. Make sure you don't leave any finger prints or they'll show up too. :-D

If you're wanting to clear bare metal, any glass bead, aluminum oxide or similar media will work just fine. I usually use Black Beauty black slag in a fine grit; though it costs a little more than blasting sand, it lasts a LOT longer (3-4 times), won't give you silicosis, and cuts much faster.

I'm always happy to answer questions. Keep them coming!

It just dawned on me I failed to announce the July Special on FBBO. Sorry for the late notice guys.

It's 20% off on any job over $100.00, and there's still a few days to get the parts here to take advantage of the sale. (I'll cut a little slack on the arrival date since I was extremely late in telling ya'll about it.)

Cuda~

Your link isn't working! :( It keeps timing out.

I'm looking to use a ultrachrome (or something similar) with a black tint to simulate black chrome. My intent is to use this on all normally-chromed items (bumpers, headlight rings, window chrome, taillight mouldings) on my 53 Plymouth sled.

Have any insight or advice on this?

Thanks much.

LMAO at being "the man"!!! Too funny!

Morrigan, there are a few powders available that might be right up your alley for your ol' fat fendered sled. (Love the body style BTW)

One is called "Liquid Smoke," and the others are "Black Chrome I" and "Black Chrome II." Of course, there's probably at least 200 different black powders available with various tints, additives, textures, etc. I can send you some swatches too -- just hit me with your mailing address in a PM and I'll get them out the door to you.

pr, did you get your swatches yet? They should be arriving any day if not.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I love what I do around here. :-D

not yet, i will let ya know. Thanks for the help.... Where is Greenfield? I am in Morgantown ky. Wondering how far you are from me.....

I have seen her picture, she is no man, respectfully submitted.....:grin:

Okay, just to put all those evil pending rumors to rest right now ...

IM003534.jpg

IM003534.jpg

By the way. That's not a bathing suit. She had some paint left over from doing the CUDA:grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back