• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power or manual steering box

vsj100

Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
Mine is a 68 Coronet 500. Currently it has a PS setup but when I got the car there was no pump etc. Now that I have installed the pump and pully the PS box is a leaker. Better to just put in a new ps box or is a manual box ok?
Thanks as always

Mine is a 68 Coronet 500. Currently it has a PS setup but when I got the car there was no pump etc. Now that I have installed the pump and pully the PS box is a leaker. Better to just put in a new ps box or is a manual box ok?
Thanks as always
Either way you go is kind of a pita since a manual steering collum is longer than the PS column......is the old box in good shape except for the leaks? Not too hard to replace the input seal or the output seal..

Clean it and find the leak source it may be an easy fix. Or get it rebuilt by a profrssional shop.

Switch to manual is not that easy.

Thanks. You have spoken the best plan

If possible please explain the best way to remove both seals. I've heard the top can be removed with a couple of sheetmetal screws and the lower can be removed by using pump pressure after removing the pitman arm and c clip. Thanks of course!

Switching to manual steering is no more difficult than pulling out the PS box and fixing it. It also has the benefit of reducing quiet a bit of weight. What should really guide your choice is your preference for one or the other.

Clean it and find the leak source it may be an easy fix. Or get it rebuilt by a profrssional shop.

Switch to manual is not that easy.
Just curious what is the hard part about switching to manual? I am considering it myself so i don't have to make a PS bracket.. Isn't a manual box a bolt in and then get the extension coupler for the steering shaft?

I don't know about actual switching differences. Manual steering is not that big of a deal, just remember to be moving when you turn the wheel. Think ahead and set your self up for your next turn.

Just curious what is the hard part about switching to manual? I am considering it myself so i don't have to make a PS bracket.. Isn't a manual box a bolt in and then get the extension coupler for the steering shaft?
The pitman arm needs to be changed as well.
The splines on a manual steering box for the pitman arm are larger in dia.

Auto Transport Service
Back