• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering box adjustment

midnightrider1818

Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
i was just adjusting my p/s steering box trying to get the free play outta my wheel. i turned the screw clockwise. does that tighten it up.

I don't remember whichwise. I do know that if you don't follow the FSM, you'll be chasing your tail. (Sage advice from a tailchaser....)

I'm not really sure? My bud just bought a new steering box from me last weekend for his 72 Charger after playing with his,I guess he made it worse?

alright. that is which way i turned it. will that help witht the play in the wheel to make it tighter. as in if i barely turn the steering wheel left the tires turn left.

thanks sundance. that was helpful. i just turned my adjustment screw two turns clockwise. i will see what that does when i drive it down the road

Yes, clockwise reduces the play but you need to be careful. If you go too tight on a used box it will bind on hard turns.

also there will be more play when the car is not running...it will tighten (due to the control valve)when it is running..

Last edited:
Don't overtighten it as it can do damage to the gears. You need to do it while someone is moving the wheel back and forth and feel your way through it. If it doesn't tighten up enough it is time for a rebuilt box. I would suggest one of the rebuilders that offer various degrees of tightness.

Auto Transport Service
Back