• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need HELP with power steering

LongR

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
When I start the car 1966 Satellite 318ci w/power steering
The steering wheel by itself turns all the way to the left very hard.
And almost impossible to turn the wheel the other way.
And fluid is coming out the top of the power steering reservoir....It looks a little frothy

Could I have contaminated or used the wrong fluid since I just cleaned & change the fluid???
The new fluid had been working fine for 2 weeks

Last edited:
Don't run the car like this. The valve on top has been moved, and it needs to be moved back. Two bolts screw in straight down, holds the valve to the box. Now loosen and slide valve the other direction forward or back. It is slid all the way one direction right now.

Last edited:
Don't run the car like this. The valve on top has been moved, and it needs to be moved back. Two bolts screw in straight down, holds the valve to the box. Now loosen and slide valve the other direction forward or back. It is slid all the way one direction right now.
How did it move....it looks like it's in the same position as it has been for years....no indication of movement
Plus why is fluid coming out the top of the reservoir ????
I reached in the window through the steering wheel to start the car & almost broke my arm with the steering wheel moving hard left...

Last edited:
How did it move....it looks like it's in the same position as it has been for years....no indication of movement
Plus why is fluid coming out the top of the reservoir ????
I reached in the window through the steering wheel to start the car & almost broke my arm with the steering wheel moving hard left...
Was this a car you had driven before? As far as foam and blowing out you are severely aerated. With the valve possibly out of adjustment it will make it worse because it it deadheading.

Was this a car you had driven before? As far as foam and blowing out you are severely aerated. With the valve possibly out of adjustment it will make it worse because it it deadheading.
The valve must have been stuck..
I tapped gingerly on the valve with a hammer & now it's back to normal.....

Thx for all the help

You may still want to flush it more.
Disconnect the return line and dump fluid in the reservoir with it idling.
Turn the wheel side to side.

If this happens again while you're driving it could be serious.

You may still want to flush it more.
Disconnect the return line and dump fluid in the reservoir with it idling.
Turn the wheel side to side.

If this happens again while you're driving it could be serious.
Thanks for the "WARNING" never thought of that

Auto Transport Service
Back