• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering conversion.

wagonman

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Just got done. Instead of using the Federal pump and old style box I used a Saginaw pump and a box from a 74 A-body. Aside for minor clearance of the bolt holes to the K-frame and juggling pulleys pretty straight forward. The column was a bit tedious. I have the B PS shaft but it is a bit short. A few smacks with a chisel and hammer gave me the 1 inch or so extra length I needed and didn't seem to cause any issue, still nice and tight. Only 1 thing that might cause an issue is the Pittman arm as it is for the A-body. Same large spline and fits the Center link taper and bolted right in. I dose have quite a curve to it unlike the B-body that is straight. The wheel is straight as none of the tie rods were messed with. A shakedown run will let Me know. Initial observations just sitting in the shop are 4 turns lock to lock but not with the 1 finger loose C-Body feel. If need be I will get the Pittman E-Booger has for the spline Change for a B. Under hood is done just need to button up the dash/ Column and then let Her rip. Also want to add Power brakes, pondering Hydro Boost as now I have a pump to handle it. Hmmm. Many Thanks to Nirvana for Making this happen, You Rock!

IMG_1617.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

Last edited:
Took the car for a shakedown and the steering is so much better, no wondering, nice tight and responsive feel. I don't feel the 12 o'clock looseness some complain about. I will have to get the Pittman arm as the curved A-Body one put the wheel off center about 1/4 turn.

Auto Transport Service
Back