• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Cooler

Dajkzo

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
One of the upgrades on my 70 RR is the Borgenson Power Steering Kit. I really like the modern feel. However, both the new pump and the steering box run hot. Damn hot as in 240º F. I made a simple aluminum bracket on the mill and mounted a small Derale cooler on top of the pump where it gets plenty of air flow. Now after 30 minutes of driving on curvy secondary roads the system stays 190-195º.
IMG_0040.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg

Looks good!
My gtx has one from the factory.

Nice, but as noted maybe they should have followed the factory OE lead. After spending big money for aftermarket it shouldn't be up to the buyer to reinvent the wheel.

Nice, but as noted maybe they should have followed the factory OE lead. After spending big money for aftermarket it shouldn't be up to the buyer to reinvent the wheel.

I agree. The high temp surprised me. The cooler was cheap https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13213. I had upgraded to a new ColdCase radiator and with a 4-speed, didn't bother with the integrated cooler but now I think it would have been useful to cool the steering.

No because your radiator is running around 220 or so... not gonna cool that P/S unit.

Good info! I bought a cooler for my 65 Belvedere project because it has PS and hydro boost braking. I'm thinking about mounting the cooler down on the lower gravel/splash shield below the grill.
Mike

Good info! I bought a cooler for my 65 Belvedere project because it has PS and hydro boost braking. I'm thinking about mounting the cooler down on the lower gravel/splash shield below the grill.
Mike

I looked at pictures of a factory setup and wanted to use the existing return line without having to extend it. I'm running a flex fan and there is plenty of air flow even when sitting still. The mounting tab is just a piece of 6061 and goes on the pivot bolt between the pump brack and the water pump housing. I had turned some spacers to align the power steering pulley so now the mounting tab serves as a spacer. And then a #10-24 cap screw into a tapped hole on the bracket (some blue locktight just in case). The body of the cooler is tight against the pump bracket along with a lip on the mounting tab to lock the cooler in place.

Now that I look at it, I could have printed a better tab on my buddy's 3D printer. Maybe when I install the new 440. 3D printing is cool, check out this drink holder that fits on a winch. With Kevlar or carbon fiber it's incredibly strong and light.
IMG_0201.jpeg
IMG_0203.jpeg

good
and that tube and fin is not even the most efficient for its size
nice job
and good reason not to mount it down low where it's cooler
what fluid is recommended with that box?
OEM equivalent fluid for the Chrysler mfd pumps is hard to find
I used to use STA LUBE but it's gone

good
and that tube and fin is not even the most efficient for its size
nice job
and good reason not to mount it down low where it's cooler
what fluid is recommended with that box?
OEM equivalent fluid for the Chrysler mfd pumps is hard to find
I used to use STA LUBE but it's gone

I'm using Valvoline synthetic PS fluid. The one with "NO" stop leak. The system has been on for 18 months and the seals are fine. I didn't notice the high temp until I upgraded the radiator and fan. While checking temps I put the infrared gun on the pump and it was 240º. I've been doing some updates with the purpose of getting the car ready for a 440 (hoping for 500HP). The last step is swapping the 8 3/4 for a new S60 from Dr Diff.

No because your radiator is running around 220 or so... not gonna cool that P/S unit.
Just thinking if the bottom tank of your radiator is running 220 you may have more to worry about than PS fluid temperature

Auto Transport Service
Back