• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering gear removal

Larry Chilese

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
I've got a steering gear that is leaking profusely and needs replaced on my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T. My question is: does the Steering Column need to be loosened to pull out the gear or can you slide it forward off the splines after removing the roll pin and bolts.
Also can it be removed from the top or best from the bottom? My exhaust header bolts are stuck tight and I'm afraid if I try to remove them to get the headers off they will break off and leave me another problem to solve. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Larry C.

Just did this on a 67 Coronet.

Had to
Remove torsion bar
Remove lower control arm
Remove driver side header, try doing it with out removing the header first.
It’s a PITA

But I got my steering gear from Napa, ordered it using the app and saved $100 vs ordering it online. Thinking it was some kind of glitch.

Good Luck

I loosened the column and slid it back. It allowed me enough room to drop out the bottom. But my car has manifolds. I think you’re going to have to at minimum loosen a header.

If it's leaking from the input shaft (column connection), replacing the seal isn't too hard.

You do need to loosen and pull back the steering column into the passenger compartment.
Yes the header will need to come off.
But you do not need to remove a torsion bar or lower control arm. Just remove the pitman arm from the steering gear and push the centerlink out of the way. The box can be removed from below.
The worst part will certainly be the header as they often require removing the motor mount bolt and jacking the engine a bit.

Sound like I should firstly identity where exactly its leaking from. I might try running the engine too warm up the header bolts, see it I can get them to break lose, I just have that bolt snapping apart noise running around in my head.
Bad part is I spent the winter rebuilding the entire suspension, so I had all the control arms out, torsion bars too, I could just cry when I think of how easy it would have been then.

Removing the engine mount and lifting the motor may be your best bet.
Definitely have to slide the steering column inside.

This worked for me over the years and just did on my 71 with headers.

I actually removed the battery and tray, and was able to just pullnit from the top without removing and suspension and the Headers.

Give it a shot, better that taking the headers and torsion bar out.

I just did this a few months ago. Slid column back and leave it in the car ( didnt even disconnect wiring )
Remove the pitman arm and swing the linkages out of the way. disconnect the hoses/lines. Drop it out the bottom.

But my car has stock exhaust HP manifolds , I have a feeling your going to at the very minimum loosen the drivers side header tube

I had to do it on my 68 charger. With headers I actually pulled it threw the top.

You have pull the column back. I disconnected drivers motor mount and jacked the motor up slightly . Pulled the battery, tray and pump. Disconnected steering linkage and pulled it up.

To jack up the motor did you place a block under the oil pan and lift?
I could use an engine hoist on just one side of the engine, thinking that might possibly work too

To jack up the motor did you place a block under the oil pan and lift?
I could use an engine hoist on just one side of the engine, thinking that might possibly work too
Either way would work.
I'd probably just take out both motor mount bolts then your only restriction to how far you move it is the transmission and tunnel clearance.
Don't forget to drain the coolant before you remove the header bolts from the head.

I doubt my header bolts will come loose without breaking them off-and I don't want to remove a head-thought about running motor to get it hot then try to break them, I don't know any other way.

If you jack it up maybe you can get an impact on them?

Steering gear to K frame bolts likely have been soaking in that power steering fluid for quite some time.

Might come right out.

Just jack or engine hoist one side.
If you need more room remove trans mount, not the entire braket.
Do not take out the passenger side motor mount.
Remove battery and tray. Swing the power stearing pump forward.
It will come out the top.

Just jack or engine hoist one side.
If you need more room remove trans mount, not the entire braket.
Do not take out the passenger side motor mount.
Remove battery and tray. Swing the power stearing pump forward.
It will come out the top.
that's what I wanted to know-thanks sincerely!

just make sure you back is in good shape and you ate your wheaties !! ... not sure of the exact weight but feel like 45 lbs when your hanging over your fender and your trying to pull it up ! Still easier there pulling headers, Torsion, and starter IMO

just make sure you back is in good shape and you ate your wheaties !! ... not sure of the exact weight but feel like 45 lbs when your hanging over your fender and your trying to pull it up ! Still easier there pulling headers, Torsion, and starter IMO
I think a steering gear is more like 60 lbs.
Okay I looked it up someone said 34 lbs, they sure seem heavier than that...

...and they are awkward, not balanced well, and usually greasy.

I think the word "just" should be stricken from any description in this post.

Auto Transport Service
Back