• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

power steering gear removal

For greasy parts I've found you hook up the power washer to your hot water heater.
Works wonders.

Don't know how you made out, but I've got the same vehicle, and I just did it. Uncoupled the steering column, removed battery tray, steering pump, spark plugs (so they don't break off when unbolting the headers!). Drained the radiator fluid before unbolting the headers. My headers have been on for over 30 years. Sprayed alot of penetrant on the bolts before attempting to loosen, for several days. Took it slow and didn't apply crazy force. As they became loose, continued to spray penetrant. Removed Pittman arm from center link, and from gear itself. Moved the headers toward the firewall to create space, and the steering gear came easily out the top by pulling it forward and rotating the rear up.

If you are swapping your existing unit out for a reman'd stocker, get the replacement from either Firm Feel, Steer and Gear or Redhead. Unless you want to do this job multiple times for free. If you are upgrading to a Borgeson unit, buy it from Peter at BAC who is a sponsor here and will supply you WITH ALL THE NEEDED PARTS for the upgrade.

How did you make out?

I will tackle this over Christmas break on my road runner. Never pulled one of these so I'd like to hear how you did it.

I've got stock exhaust, so assume I can pull it from the bottom without jacking the motor. Factory service manual says "remove three steering gear to frame mounting bolts. Remove steering gear from under vehicle."

How did you make out?

I will tackle this over Christmas break on my road runner. Never pulled one of these so I'd like to hear how you did it.

I've got stock exhaust, so assume I can pull it from the bottom without jacking the motor. Factory service manual says "remove three steering gear to frame mounting bolts. Remove steering gear from under vehicle."
Yes.
I knock out the roll pin from the steering coupler. remove the retainer from the inside and pull the column out.

Auto Transport Service
Back