• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering gearbox question

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:51 AM
Reaction score
The PS gearbox in my '68 Survivor Charger has an imbalance (?) problem and the wheel turns to the left. Is there anything that can be done in the car, or should I just pull it and send it off to Steer & Gear?

Gotta loosen that top piece and move it slightly back or forth....don't remember which way for left and right.

Get the front wheels off the ground to do this...and don't be holding onto the steering wheel or the tires.

That warning above is no joke! Just loosen enough so you can move it. Mark where it is before you move it.

Thanks guys. I might say that it pulls slightly. I've had reman boxes that pull hard when cycling it for the first time & the adjustment on top of the box solved that. Same thing with a slight pull?

Thanks guys. I might say that it pulls slightly. I've had reman boxes that pull hard when cycling it for the first time & the adjustment on top of the box solved that. Same thing with a slight pull?

Tie rod loose?

Tire pressures unequal in the front maybe?

right brake sticking? oh crap i mean left

Last edited:
Any decent alignment shop should check that first thing.
Well then every alignment shop I've been to have been lazy slugs! I agree, but I'm sure 95% of the time shops just blow that off.

put the front end on stands

center the wheel and start the car

the wheel should not move

if it does, does it go all the way to the stop?

center the wheel and repeat the test

does it always go the same direction?

center the wheel and go a little past - opposite the side the wheel wants to turn to

does it still go to the other side?

put the wheel all the way to the other side

does it still do it?

if so, adjust that top part the hose attaches to as stated above

Well then every alignment shop I've been to have been lazy slugs! I agree, but I'm sure 95% of the time shops just blow that off.
Someone that's been doing alignments for awhile can usually take a look at the tires and tell if one is too low or not plus a radial can be a bit lower than the other and generally, it won't much much difference if any....but when I was taking cars to alignment shops, I made sure they were already good....front AND rear. Try it next time. Let one tire down to 20 lbs and have the other at 35 and watch to see if he doesn't check it. If not, mention it AFTER he's done then fill it up and see if it drives. I like to ask if they like to come with me.

What made me learn to do my own is the last guy messed up the toe so bad that the car felt like it was about to roll over on any quick lane change doing 40mph! I had already been learning how and took it to this guy that was supposed to be good to check my work. He said everything was good except for the toe which I thought was odd since that's one of the easy ones to do. The only vehicles that went to an alignment shop was the new junk......mainly because I didn't want to mess with them.

Gotta loosen that top piece and move it slightly back or forth....don't remember which way for left and right.
The lever which gives direction under that top valve has been moved.
The only way to fix that is to do as Cranky says...slightly loosen the valve body, and gently tap it one way or the other....small movements only. I had exactly this problem before I had my 70 GTX steering box rebuilt. The guys assembled it and 'centred' it on their test rig. When I put it in the car it was perfect.

upload_2020-3-27_12-21-15.png

Two bolts to loosen....have the engine running with the car safely off the ground.

maybe move it a millimeter

Auto Transport Service
Back