• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Input Shaft - Seal Replacement

I'm about to go put my 70 R/T up on jackstands and knock this repair out myself...the same seal on mine leaks so bad It takes a pint of fluid just to go to the fuel station and back. I just finished up doing an in-frame engine rebuild on our John Deere 4230 last month, but to me this seems like a worse job.

SteeringGearInputLeakArea.jpg

so I'm to this point, but don't have a tiny pneumatic right angle drill to put a few holes in it to pull with screws or a pick. anyone have any tips on how I should go about removing the seal from this point?

SteeringGearInputLeakArea02.jpg

SteeringGearInputLeakArea03.jpg

You got this far and didn't consider how? Grind a punch to a sharp point, tap two holes and thread in a couple of drywall screws with a Philips bit and a 1/4" wrench and pop it out!

You got this far and didn't consider how? Grind a punch to a sharp point, tap two holes and thread in a couple of drywall screws with a Philips bit and a 1/4" wrench and pop it out!

I decided a few hours ago I was tired of knowing I needed to take care of this leak and just started tearing into it without giving it much more thought than that. It's what I do :)

How did you make out here? Could you get the new seal on with the steering box in the car?

Last edited:
Make here what Bill?
I edited the question. I was asking member shanker if he has success changing the seal. He has not bene on since July, so I assume I won't see an answer.

Auto Transport Service
Back