• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Input Shaft - Seal Replacement

dadsbee

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Thought these pics might help someone down the line, as they make it self explanatory. Was leaking bad before our Fall 2019 trip to the 50th Anniversary of the Aero car in Alabama and Georgia. I added leak sealer and it got me this far, but it's been pissing on the floor since starting the car after Winter storage. I bit the bullet today, before a hopeful family Father's Day cruise this weekend with four cars. Hardest part was getting the coupler off the input shaft.

Just sitting and pissing on the floor.
superbirdrepairs2021 004.JPG

Knocking the coupler split pin out with a long piece of round stock (from one of those plastic road side election signs)
superbirdrepairs2021 023.JPG

Steering column unbolted at the firewall flange and holder bracket and pulled back until the reverse lock out lever hit the firewall on the engine side. AFTER THE COUPLING WAS ALMOST OFF THE INPUT SPLINE, OTHERWISE YOU CHANCE POPPING YOUR COUPLING/SHOE SEAL OFF!!!
superbirdrepairs2021 039.JPG

Coupling pried off the input shaft.
superbirdrepairs2021 037.JPG

Predrilling the start of a two holes to make getting drywall screws into the seal face easier. Everyone should have one of these drills, browse Ebag for yours..
superbirdrepairs2021 041.JPG

Drywall screws threaded in lightly and they walked the seal right out.
superbirdrepairs2021 045.JPG

New Federal Mogal / National 7188-S seal I picked up of Amazon.ca for 6 bucks with Free Shipping and it was delivered Fedex next day.
superbirdrepairs2021 001.JPG

Electrical tape on shaft splines and new seal slid into place (lip oiled first)
superbirdrepairs2021 049.JPG

11/16 deep socket and my tight spot hammer (a bucking bar I welded up years ago) to put the seal into place.
superbirdrepairs2021 052.JPG

Coupling slid back into place and the split pin reinstalled.
superbirdrepairs2021 055.JPG

Thanks for showing this procedure!

Make sure you don’t nick the shaft or the bore in the steering box with the drill or screws.

Thought these pics might help someone down the line, as they make it self explanatory. Was leaking bad before our Fall 2019 trip to the 50th Anniversary of the Aero car in Alabama and Georgia. I added leak sealer and it got me this far, but it's been pissing on the floor since starting the car after Winter storage. I bit the bullet today, before a hopeful family Father's Day cruise this weekend with four cars. Hardest part was getting the coupler off the input shaft.

Just sitting and pissing on the floor.
View attachment 1124089
Knocking the coupler split pin out with a long piece of round stock (from one of those plastic road side election signs)
View attachment 1124090
Steering column unbolted at the firewall flange and holder bracket and pulled back until the reverse lock out lever hit the firewall on the engine side. AFTER THE COUPLING WAS ALMOST OFF THE INPUT SPLINE, OTHERWISE YOU CHANCE POPPING YOUR COUPLING/SHOE SEAL OFF!!!
View attachment 1124091
Coupling pried off the input shaft.
View attachment 1124092
Predrilling the start of a two holes to make getting drywall screws into the seal face easier. Everyone should have one of these drills, browse Ebag for yours..
View attachment 1124093
Drywall screws threaded in lightly and they walked the seal right out.
View attachment 1124094
New Federal Mogal / National 7188-S seal I picked up of Amazon.ca for 6 bucks with Free Shipping and it was delivered Fedex next day.
View attachment 1124095
Electrical tape on shaft splines and new seal slid into place (lip oiled first)
View attachment 1124096
11/16 deep socket and my tight spot hammer (a bucking bar I welded up years ago) to put the seal into place.
View attachment 1124097
Coupling slid back into place and the split pin reinstalled.
View attachment 1124098
Old school always works.

Well no puddle on the floor today, so I guess it was a success! ... and yes I did fill the reservoir back up and run it yesterday..

Test driven, no leakage from anywhere in the power steering system. Good to go this weekend...
superbirdrepairs2021 091.JPG

Ok

will give this a try.
Working on a quarter panel issue, which is the priority, but don't need a new stain from moving in and out of garage.
My new starter solenoid and oil pressure switch came in today, so finished installing those today.
Ill order that seal from Amazon.

Thank you Dadsbee.

Super-bee I take it.

The seal you referenced is not showing up on my Amazon search.
So went to Rock Auto and found this one.
Is the name of this seal the Sector Shaft seal?

Rock Auto sector shaft seal
National 6859S
and a second one
BCA NS6859S

Yes this appears to be the same spot this steering gear box is leaking from.

No idea on those numbers. Numbers I have are NAPA#6141 and Master Pro #7188S (Federal Mogal/ National seals as well)

Fairly certain '66 and '70 boxes input shaft seals are the same, but something worth investigating..

Nice car and what a dream garage, wow.
Mine is a standard two car garage with one side taken up by another car, Comet Wagon V8.

My brother has a 70 Super Bee 440 six pack with the little scoop with an actuator.
He also has a GTX 440 six pack, with a factory special hood.

No idea on those numbers. Numbers I have are NAPA#6141 and Master Pro #7188S (Federal Mogal/ National seals as well)

Fairly certain '66 and '70 boxes input shaft seals are the same, but something worth investigating..

I'll go to Amazon and retry with those numbers, the pictures of your steering box looks the same as this one in the 66 Satellite 318.

Researched Amazon and the -

National 6859S Oil Seal same as Rock Auto came up - $40​

Rock Auto - National 6859S oil seal - $7.86
with shipping $17.00

Will order in hopes it's correct.

Amazon Timkin 7188S showing $19.41 so same price and delivery date As Rock Auto.

(Who do I want to support, makes no difference)

Will go with your picture and similarity.

The only question would be a difference between a manual or power steering car.

Confirming yours is power steering Car?

So looks like the - National 6859S Oil Seal is the correct one for 1966 Satellite 318 Automatic power steering box.
The Timkin 7188S is showing up as not compatible.

Will call a local parts supplier tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back