• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump problems. Which pump do I have?

junkyard junky

Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
Power steering pump is bad on my 65 coronet. From what I can tell, I have a thompson pump and can not find one. Anyone make brackets for a different pump for the stock poly 318?

coronet power steering pump.jpg

coronet power steering pump.jpg
coronet power steering pump2.jpg

How is it bad? Leaking, or something else?
Have basicly same pump...and put a kit in it.

Will add, there's three different sizes of pumps, one of those for small blocks.

I've put kits in and still had to replace the pump because it was to weak... worn out. Mine was a Saginaw and the pump itself wasn't much more than the kit but then again the Saginaw is a more widely used pump as well so may not be so cheap for yours but it's worth looking into. Bought mine from the local auto parts store.

I recently looked EVERYWHERE for pumps that would fit. They do NOT exist. I looked in NAPA, OReilly, AZ, CARDONE, CARQUEST, etc. for a Thompson pump, Federal Pump and TRW pump. (They all look very similar). Check out some of the resto-shops as they most likely have them and may be able to rebuild it before shipping to you. I finally wound up with a TRW pump (larger pump from a resto-shop). Also, this is not a Saginaw pump --that would be a completely different animal. Also, as s5757s pointed out, Firm Feel (or Steer n' Gear) could provide you with a quality rebuild.

To clear up some the the BS, you have a 66 small block pump pictured. The small block wont work for the BB. ( pulley position). BB brackets are made but that still wont help you. I suppose all the other years pumps could be made to fit, but quite fighting the 'will fit' and get the proper 62-65 pump. I do have a correct 65 BB pump TRW, pm me with your email, and on Tuesday I will reply.

i am looking for a 1965 dodge coronet 318 sb thompson power steering pump with 5/8 return line up by the fill spout and solid shaft no threads

Auto Transport Service
Back