• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering pump removal

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:56 PM
Reaction score
I need to remove the power steering pump on my 66 big block Charger to get it resealed. The car has factory air so it is pretty tight. It seems like if I remove to two horizontal bolts through the water pump it should come off bracket and all. If instead I take the two vertical pump bolts out there seems to be another bolt into the back of the pump which is pretty much inaccessible. Of course I had this all apart before and had the steering box rebuilt, but didn't do the pump! Here is a picture when I originally took it apart.

IMG_20210130_141253.jpg

Not much too it bud, you are on the right track. Remove the two long (horizontal bolts) that run in the water pump and it will slide off. It's usually a tight fight but it will come off.

Not sure who you're using to rebuild it but Steer and Gear is awesome. They've done a great job with my stuff over the years.

Thanks, that confirms what I thought. I am in Canada so I will have it rebuilt locally where I had the steering box done. I am just mad that I didn't have it done at the same time while everything was apart. It still worked fine, but it had an annoying leak. I have new belts and rad hoses to install so it isn't a complete waste of time.

Thanks again for the help. It came off surprisingly easily. Thought I better post another picture showing that I did clean it up a bit.

IMG_20230220_135833101_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230220_111028564.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back