• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power steering return hose

TonyB

Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
I installed a rebuilt power steering pump and box in my 66 belvedere 318 poly. I used the existing return hose which is larger diameter on the box side and smaller diameter on the pump side. Problem is it is leaking some and I would now like to replace it. Nowhere can I find a return hose which is different diameter on each end. Every place I check you just get bulk hose. If I had not taken the hose off the car myself to begin with I would have thought something didn't make sense and when I ordered the other components, they came with different size fittings. Any ideas on where to get the right hose or other options.?

I would have liked to have seen the look on the parts guys face....
Anyways... I would matchup the smaller one to the hose and then strech the other end on to the big end.. put a drop of p/s fluid in side the hose... the return line doesn't see much pressure for the hose rated for p/s even if you have to try really hard... sometimes I will put a bolt in a vice thats slightly larger that I can use to help gauge up the new hose...
Nobody makes a hose with two sizes on each end.... welcome to the world of mopar..LOL

I am wondering if they could use hydraulic fittings to go from one size to the other

Take you existing return hose to a NAPA Parts Store and they will make a matching new one for you. Easy Peasy...cr8crshr/Tuck

Aww come on... I was hoping this would last longer than that... and yes you can use a brass union to connect the two lines... the return has little pressure its the high side you have to be careful with.

Sounds like you got the wrong pump. In '66 the return hose is 5/8 diameter (heater hose size) the later Federal or TRW pumps had a 3/8 return line. Sounds like you got the "later pump" You can change out the aluminum fitting on the steering box to the later style to match the pump. I doubt you will be able to stretch a 3/8 hose to fit a 5/8 nipple.

you won't stretch the 3/8" hose that far....just get a couple brass fittings and go from 3/8" to 5/8" hose

what did you do with the original PS pump?

you won't stretch the 3/8" hose that far....just get a couple brass fittings and go from 3/8" to 5/8" hose

what did you do with the original PS pump?

it was damaged, thanks I am going to reduce the box side with fittings.

If the pumps are the same, you could switch the reservoirs.

Auto Transport Service
Back