• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powerglide trans behind a big block

NOSTRT980

Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
Do any racers here use a powerglide behind their big blocks, what gear ratio do you use and size slicks. Looking for some input. How many guys went from tf to pg and back to tf trans or stayed with the pg trans. Did you lower your et's or get more consistant times. Was it cost effective?

Unless the car is light, 2900 lbs or less the results I've seen shows it slows down. 3 guys I talked to last year made the switch with 9.60-9.80 BB Mopar bracket cars. All three said they lost about a tenth. All run a brake. PG guys have claims of bracket racing consistency , no wheel stands, or tire spin. That being said I bracket race a 64 Belvedere. 3340 lbs,10.5 tires,727 foot brake,572 that makes about 875 hp. It's a good bracket car that wins races. Hooks anywhere I've been. I'm able to run only a 4.10 gear to keep the revs low. Runs low nines, best of 9.12@147
Doug

I tried a powerglide from a 727 and slowed up .5, My car is 3387 lbs. 1196 hp My converter was too tight. I found out the hard way. New aluminum driveshaft, new Neal Chance converter too.
Went back to the 727 and instantly picked up again.
I didn't have to patience to keep sending back the PG converter to get it right.
I should have had a 2.10 1st gear in it to get it out of the hole from a 1.80 1st gear.
I traded it for a Rossler turbo 400 which i'm going to try out next time around.

Auto Transport Service
Back