• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know how much a 727 big Block trans weighs?

Breaker-1

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
I have a big block push button trans with converter for sale on this site. I have it crated but have no way to weigh it. I did a search on here but came up empty. A Google search says it's 161 pounds with converter, but a find any confirmation. Any help or leads on info is much appreciated!

Two washing machines? :lol:

1689193049527.jpeg

Lol! That is actually what a small bloch chevy trans weighs. I need to know what a big block Mopar trans weighs. Ninty-seven 2 slice sunbeam toasters perhaps?

It doesn't weigh more than a person, so a bathroom scale should be able to weight it.

I would estimate less than 200#. One can move the tranny with two people, and when moving this way it feels heavier than a 50# sack of grain but lighter than two sacks. Times two people estimates the weight between 100-200#

Thanks so much guys! Consensus says that the 161 pounds with converter must be pretty close, and that's close enough for a shipping quote, including crate of course. I didn't think of a bathroom scale, that's a good idea. Thanks again for all your input!!

All I know is that I lifted one off my chest and got a bolt started on the third try when I was 16..... it was either that or die!

Gentleman, Mr. Isaac Newton may have developed many laws of physics. But he failed to establish one law of physics, that I have discovered: " Things get heavier as you get older" .
I know one thing; they seem to weigh more now than ten years ago!

All I know is that I lifted one off my chest and got a bolt started on the third try when I was 16..... it was either that or die!
That, nowadays, is MY first law of physics !

I remember 170 lbs with converter when I rebuilt mine. I had an inexpensive transmission Jack that only lowered it to about chest height. I figured I could bear hug it and get it over to my work bench so I cradled it in my arms, tried to spring up on my toes, and lifted with a big ugghhhh - and nothing happened. It was time to remove the converter and Google the weight. In the end I decide to do my nearly 70 year old back a favor and I roped it to some planks lashed across my lift rails and used it to lower it down on a movers dolly to start taking it apart.

Somewhere around 5.25765 cases of beer and 3 rings of smoked kielbasa.
It gets lighter after 1.24565 cases are consumed but more difficult to manipulate. It weighs much much more the next morning trying to remove it from the neighbors fishing boat.

I learned that after you disconnect the linkage, and before you remove that final bell housing bolt, shift it into neutral. That makes it about 30 pounds lighter.

That info can be found in every Chrysler service manual, in very fine print, somewhere in the cheat codes section.

Somewhere around 5.25765 cases of beer and 3 rings of smoked kielbasa.
It gets lighter after 1.24565 cases are consumed but more difficult to manipulate. It weighs much much more the next morning trying to remove it from the neighbors fishing boat.

Now that's just wacko.

Oh.

I have a big block push button trans with converter for sale on this site. I have it crated but have no way to weigh it. I did a search on here but came up empty. A Google search says it's 161 pounds with converter, but a find any confirmation. Any help or leads on
I have a big block push button trans with converter for sale on this site. I have it crated but have no way to weigh it. I did a search on here but came up empty. A Google search says it's 161 pounds with converter, but a find any confirmation. Any help or leads on info is much appreciated!

Hummmm..never new there was such a thing as a big block 727 trany...I'm going back to school

WHAT IS UP??? I just got a price quote from XPO to ship this transmission and it was ASTRONOMICAL! I mean, I could ship a whole car for what they quoted me. I will try Fastenal next.

Auto Transport Service
Back