• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Powermaster noise

Ingemar Viklund

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
So..I have a one year old powermaster generator that has suddenly started to make some noise. From what I can hear It's worse in neutral. A little better when in in drive. No wining noise, almost like a bad waterpump, but I have located the noise to the alternator. What to do?

I would take the belt off and spin by hand and check for rough bearings. If that doesn't work remove and take to parts store and have them spin and check it. Best would be if you have a starter/ alt re builder close but they are getting far and few between.

I would take the belt off and spin by hand and check for rough bearings. If that doesn't work remove and take to parts store and have them spin and check it. Best would be if you have a starter/ alt re builder close but they are getting far and few between.
Agreed. Possibly the belt was too tight?

I had the same problem with 2 Powermaster alternators.
Junk from the factory.
Expensive junk ......

I didn't see you are in Sweden. Bearings are the first thing that comes to mind that make noise. It might be just as easy to get the bearings replaced. Ask around agriculture dealers for who rebuilds this. In this country old tractors never die, just get repurposed.

Gonna try and loosen it a little. Weird thing is, when I put the car in drive or reverse and the rpm goes down a little the noise almost goes away.
Its possible that the drive end bearing (belt end) is going bad. The bearing use to be a single row ball bearing that is double sealed and "lubricated for life" design. Typically this bearing is a 62032RSS, but possibility a 62042RSS. Any manufacturer such as SKF or RBC or TOYO will work but tge unit will have to be disassembled to verify the bearing number. The brush end bearing is usually a caged needle roller bearing with a seal that is pressed into the end frame as a unit. Usually made by Torrington or SKF. Its number is stamped in the besrings housing, visable from the outside of the cup. Its usually the drive end bearing that fails first due to excessive belt tension.

Sometimes, there is electrical noise, due to the commutation of the magnetic field of the rotor as it passes the stator poles, as it induces the power in the stator windings. The noise, a "whine" like noise, is greatest at high electrical loads at lower RPM levels....its harmless....just due to the construction of the alternator.

Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back