• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PPG shop line

PDFROGMAN

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
been out of the painting business for a long time
how does the PPG shop line rate? local supply house carries it.
still have a contacts with a body shop that carries Sherwin williams but need to drive into city to get it
is there a difference
thanks

I use shop line on alot of different things.Have had really good luck with the product line.I usually jc660 spot clear for engine compartments and jambs.I shoot 2020 ppg clear on the exterior.I did use dc4000 deltron clear for the first time on my 64 dodge.Sprays real nice and wet sands and rubs great also.

The only real problem I ever had with color was a bad batch of black.It looked great until you cleared it.It was brown after it was cleared.Believe it or not three major companies had the same problem all at the same time.PPG,BASF,and can't remember the other.Metallics lay down really well,colors that are difficult with other brands are difficult with shop line.As for spot repairs and blending works well also.

if you had a choice would you use PPG shop line or shrewin williams?

I have used both!I would choose what is easily available.Painters supply is just down the street from me.So I use shopline or dbu for vibrance colors.

I have used Shopline from time to time.
My two cents, I think they are good products, but I wouldn't use the color coats in Shopline, if it's a single stage that's fine, but not anything with metallic in it. You'll be disappointed, the metallics suck in Shopline. When it comes to the color, stick with PPG DBU or DBC. And if your painting anything old stick with DBU, because the flake is bigger and it mimics older paint jobs better. DBC is for newer cars, because the flake is smaller.

Auto Transport Service
Back