• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pre oiling top end of 440 motor

crane cams went out of business a year ago !! hows that for a giant F.U. and i'm left holding a non finished cam. calls r being redirected to lunati who said they wont touch the cam as far as adding the oiling holes. cant blame them. summit ended up giving me what discount they could on a replacement from howards. anyone want a new cam almost done ! half price !
How the hell can a company like Crane go out of business? Oh yeah, forget to put oil holes in cams.

crane cams went out of business a year ago !! hows that for a giant F.U. and i'm left holding a non finished cam. calls r being redirected to lunati who said they wont touch the cam as far as adding the oiling holes. cant blame them. summit ended up giving me what discount they could on a replacement from howards. anyone want a new cam almost done ! half price !
Specs?

Part Number: 688801 Grind Number: R-260/420-2S-8
Engine Identification:
Start Yr. End Yr. Make Cyl Description
1970 1978 PLYMOUTH-DODGE-CHRYSLER 8 Good mid range and upper RPM torque and HP, rough idle, performance usage, oval track, bracket racing, auto trans w/3500+ converter, 11.5 to 13.0 compression ratio advised.
Engine Size Configuration
383-440 C.I. V
Valve Setting: Intake - .020 Exhaust - .020 Hot/Cold - HOT
Lift: Intake @Cam 420 @Valve 630 All Lifts are based
on zero lash and theoretical rocker arm ratios.
Exhaust @ Cam 420 @Valve 630
Rocker Arm Ratio 1.50
Cam Timing: TAPPET @ .0205
Lift: Opens Closes ADV Duration
Intake 41.0 BTDC 71.0 ABDC 292.0 °
Exhaust 81.0 BBDC 39.0 ATDC 300.0 °
Spring Requirements:
Part Number 99896
Loads Closed 150 LBS @ 1.900 or 1 29/32
Open 460 LBS @ 1.300
Recommended RPM range with matching components
Minimum RPM 3800
Maximum RPM 7600
Valve Float 8200
Cam Timing: TAPPET @.050
Lift: Opens Closes Max Lift Duration
Intake 26.0 BTDC 54.0 ABDC 103 260.0
Exhaust 66.0 BBDC 22.0 ATDC 113 268.0
Remarks:
IMG_0808.JPG

If you been rotating the crank and have no oil up top then there is a problem.

Put on #1 compression stroke, rotate 1/4 turn clockwise. Now it will be Oiling left side. Turn 3/4 turn clockwise to timing mark. Now oiling right side. Now on #6 compression stroke. Engine is 180 degrees off so install distributor to #6 in this position.

this works perfectly if you follow these instructions, I have done it.

Dug out of the archives.
Thank you for this post @R413 . It worked well for a friend of mine over 4 hours away from me. He called and was confused as to why he had 60 psi but could not get flow to the top end. Of course, I came here for my search. This in combination with the wire trick is how we succeeded! The timing mark was off enough that the quarter turn was not lined up exactly. Between you and @33 IMP we got oil up top. We also confirmed the lower hole was lined up as he pushed right through into the block on the other side of the cam. As soon as he spun the drill the oil was a flowin'!

Lucky for him, he spun slowly. :)

This forum rocks.

The wire will butt up against the cam, till the holes line up. Then it will move down an inch or so.
By the way, your answer is the one i was looking for and couldnt remember.
Edit: if you cant get the wire to drop into the cam anywhere...... chances are the cam bearing ISNT installed right.

Just to add...the "turn it to X degree" method may not always work. Maybe just my luck, but I've had some aftermarket cams that apparently didn't have the journal drilled in exactly the same spot as the factory cams. I guess they figure it really doesn't matter because during operation, the oil will get up there no matter what.
In other words, the only way to be 100% is to turn it slowly while spinning the pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back