• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prime a 1971 Dodge Charger Options

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
My sons car was purchased from New Mexico and it was bought paint stripped. Since it’s been unprotected it’s gotten surface rust (it already had some common areas for more aggressive rust). I have an Eastwood Countour SCT sander that can take the rust off pretty easily. We don’t have a compressor nor a paint sprayer. We would like to stop the rust.

I looked into the Eastwood roll on primers, and the reviews state a lot of sanding is needed, small tight areas need to be sprayed, and shops want to use their own primers before final topcoat. Thoughts?

How much does a body and paint shop charge for spray priming without fixing dents ? Yes, living in Southern California brings up the price!

Other options? Really just want to protect it while we focus on other areas.
69550373450__D7FA1E2D-7BAF-4806-83C0-98E7F1599FC0.jpeg

IMG_4937.jpeg

You can buy the compressor, a cheap HLVP gun, epoxy primer, and surface prep for significantly less than what you will be charged by a shop, and then you have the tools. A compressor is a basic tool for a classic car owner.

Just lay a tarp down and spray it outside on a windless day. Just be sure that you have removed 100% of all rust before shooting and follow the directions on the can of primer. You'll need a quart + activator (= 1/2 gallon when mixed) for the job.

You can buy the compressor, a cheap HLVP gun, epoxy primer, and surface prep for significantly less than what you will be charged by a shop, and then you have the tools. A compressor is a basic tool for a classic car owner.

Just lay a tarp down and spray it outside on a windless day. Just be sure that you have removed 100% of all rust before shooting and follow the directions on the can of primer. You'll need a quart + activator (= 1/2 gallon when mixed) for the job.
He is bang on.

Here in Canada I could buy $300-400 compressor $50-80 HVLP gun $30 air hose. Maybe another $50 for an in line filter and some fittings. Then the rest is in materials epoxy , tape, masking. Let's say you hit $1000 thats on the high side probably. I think it will be hard to find a shop to do it for less... not to mention ,b you have now invested in a compressor that you can use for various other projects for years to come

Based on what I see in the pics if you want to get a good metal prep on the car and hold it for cheap I would use a diluted phosphoric acid and scotch brite to remove the surface rust and help prep the metal. There are 2k epoxy primers in a spray can that work very well and are usually 25-30 bucks a can.

Auto Transport Service
Back