• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Primer question

c.moo

Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
Was using epoxy primer /sealer over bare metal over the summer ,now sense it's cold what can i use to cover bare metal . They say don't spray epoxy when it's cold . It's in a garage, but it's not heated all the time. Mostly when I'm out working on it .So what can i use to cover bare metal to keep it from rusting ? Green at this . Thanks

People may say this isn't proper but I've done it with lasting results, I think it's how they used to do it anyhow...

Sand/clean/prep the surface well and hit it with a good Urethane 2k Primer. I've had good results with SPI brand.

Sorry. But always epoxy. Their are newer primers that are DTM (direct to metal) but they are trying to replace a far superior product in epoxy. Yes the cold is the deal breaker for epoxy. Don't qoute me. I know the temp has to be about 60. But I have heard that getting in the sun even if it's cold will help. (Never really made since to me being only the roof hood would see the most sun light). I realize I didn't answer your question. Sorry. If your using SPI's products. Contact Barry. His number is in the product book they send with their orders. I can guarantee a return text message. And if the answer to your text is to much to type. He will call. Nothing like going to the source.

Just warming up the area to above 60 wont help. The metal itself takes hours to get to that temp. That is what it ia all about, the temperature of the metal. The surrounding air temp and the paint also need to be warm. If you can assure the three elements, than you should be able to lay down some nice epoxy primer.

Keeping it warm while the primer initially cures Will help provide a good strong bond.

I did this last year...at this time, to my car. The results were terrific. When it finally got warm enough to paint up here, all I needed to do was wash and lightly sand the primer before spraying color.

WP_000878.jpg WP_001265.jpg View attachment 677529

Last edited:
Yep, Skytrooper is correct. When epoxy is cold, the reaction for it to "cure" stops & it will "stay wet" until it gets warm again. 60F sounds about right....maybe 65F to be safe & he's also right about the metal taking hours to reach that temperature. Urethanes can go down to maybe 55F and still cure.

If you dont have a good heated room to spray in then don't spray the epoxy there's a chance it would not finish curing and you'd have to strip and start over. Wait till weather changes or just prime it with urethane. Urethane will protect and stick to the metal just fine even though they say it's not for "direct to metal." Just scuff it really well, make sure it is prepped properly and clean. Urethane is not sensitive to cold like epoxy, it just basically takes longer (not sure about extreme or freezing temps) On a molecular level the epoxy cant actually cure once it goes below 60 momentarily, even if the temperature were to brought back up again it wouldn't "finish"

Last edited:
No matter what brand or makeup of primer you use you need to follow the product information that is on the can or with the primer and activator can. This stuff costs to much to be screwing around ,plus you don't want problems once the base goes on.

For years everyone used 2k. Then epoxy took over, since that point results have improved greatly. Remember minimum of 60f. Surface temp at paint time. Get a laser thermometer, if your heating garage get to 80 f if possible, turn off heat and pilot light. Wipe car down again with body wash spraying lint free towel with body wash. Never apply to body. Then rotating lint free l
Towel wipe down car of dust and residues. Don’t touch body of car with bare hands after wipe. Before you spray walk the car with floursent light light looking for mistakes.

Auto Transport Service
Back