• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro Flo 4. Edelbrock

Goal is as close to 14 as possible. Good range is 13.6 to 15.2 for most driving. O2 sensor wiring might be loose?
Uhhh...15 to 1 ??? Maybe with NON ethanol gas.
My car runs stronger at a mid 13 at cruise, mid to high 11s at WOT.

Uhhh...15 to 1 ??? Maybe with NON ethanol gas.
My car runs stronger at a mid 13 at cruise, mid to high 11s at WOT.

On decel some EFI systems shut the fuel off or back pretty dramatically so you'll see pretty lean numbers... A carb can't do that...

Yeah, I can understand that. When I jet down or use smaller power valves to lean the engine out to the traditionally correct AFR target, the car slows down or hesitates.

Gotta be a gauge/sensor issue D. Your 440 shouldn't run at all at 20+ afr. I know mine sure as sheeat won't. 20 is usually what I see as it's shutting down during a cold start because I let up on the throttle during warmup. (But I don't think you have to do much 'feathering' during start-up anymore!!)

Keep in mind--for our "may contain up to 10% ethanol" gas here...(not to mention the other crap additives)...stoich calculates to approximately .4-.6 lower than the normal values for straight gasoline. In other words lambda 1.0 on our junk would be to 14.1-.14.3, not 14.7 and so on. (That's from some very knowlegeable folks over at SpeedTalk---they pointed me to some fuel charts once upon a wayback but I don't remember where.) Most meters are converting for straight gasoline.
Add the fact that performance engines like ours want to be on the rich side of the scale for better power, and you see exactly what Kern's describing. I know the old "lean is mean until you go kaboom" saying but my 505" behaves more like Kern's...it will cruise under light load fine at 14, idle begins to suffer any leaner than about 14.3, and light acceleration is snappiest at 13-13.2 with scary and sometimes uncontrollable WOT at 11.8-12.2. Leaned out to the 'accepted' values of 12.5-12.8 WOT my car feels noticeably 'heavier'(slower). Anything close to 15, be it cruise or idle, produces surging and general unhappiness.
Of course, the combo has a lot to do with it--but our gas is a whole different animal out here.
Like Fuzzy says...

sfgnbn.jpg

B1E763D1-C77A-4291-B3F5-CC9DB2DB8B58.jpeg
Found it. Carried it all over the Country. About the only thing I didn’t need. Bosch. $84 part.

Overall, are you happy with your Pro Flo 4 EFI? Thinking of making the leap with that or Holley Sniper.

Overall, are you happy with your Pro Flo 4 EFI? Thinking of making the leap with that or Holley Sniper.
Yes. Never a hiccup. The fuel (tank/pump), plumbing and everything behind the firewall not so much. Edelbrock supplied components perfect. About 8k miles since install.

Ricks Tanks. El Paso. Beautiful larger capacity tank. Too bad they plumbed the in tank Aeromotive pump with lines that were not immersible. Also pissed fuel at fill up until an elaborate vent system was put in. Resembles a catch can in my opinion. EFI a breeze. All the rest nothing but grief. Ricks never made good but admitted the problem. 3 cross country breakdowns probably cost 3k with repairs and lodging. Went there extra mile with the PWM pump. Didn’t do any good.

Ricks Tanks. El Paso. Beautiful larger capacity tank. Too bad they plumbed the in tank Aeromotive pump with lines that were not immersible. Also pissed fuel at fill up until an elaborate vent system was put in. Resembles a catch can in my opinion. EFI a breeze. All the rest nothing but grief. Ricks never made good but admitted the problem. 3 cross country breakdowns probably cost 3k with repairs and lodging. Went there extra mile with the PWM pump. Didn’t do any good.

Next time save half the original buy in cost & all the break down grief... Buy a Tanks Inc fuel tank.... No, it isn't a cool looking, it looks stock, no it doesn't hold an extra couple gallons.... But it works flawlessly & it's reasonably priced..

549E28C8-249D-48F9-B5F1-8ABED84D1A2F.jpeg
ADE1BE1B-A138-4640-A2E7-CA30BAB9CEB8.jpeg
2D972043-6BDF-45B6-A720-A7AC39FD1C4F.jpeg
Sorry about the camera angles. Just wanted to show the elaborate clusterfluck required to stop the tank/vent from pissing fuel at fill up. Fugure this out before you get any efi. Again, everything AHEAD of the firewall was plug and play. It’s the plumbing from there back. With breakdowns, cost of tank and lines could easily tack 8-10k on the cost.

That is a Serious Cluster ****!! Some type of catch tank and breather in the trunk would have fixed all that... I have the Tanks Inc set-up in the Charger, but it is a Cali car so it has tank Evap. Running the vents through that makes it painless.. Going with the aeromotive kit for the wagon and will just use a metal catch tank with a vent line from the tank to the bottom a vent line out the top.

It purged fuel out of the fore tank vent passenger side no matter how high or elaborate the line was.

This really hasn’t been shook down. Short drives, fill up, park nose down etc but no road trip or rain yet. Time will tell.

man that sucks so bad.. mine has been great, but 130 mile round trip is the longest so far..

Auto Transport Service
Back